Local residents and civic groups yesterday accused the Greater Tainan Government of negligence of duty after a landmark tree in a downtown public park was toppled during Typhoon Matmo earlier this week.
The royal poinciana tree (Delonix regia) in Tang De-jhang Memorial Park in downtown Tainan was knocked over by strong winds, with most of the tree’s upper trunk and crown toppled, leaving only the lower trunk standing.
The landmark tree, which was more than 100 years old, is beloved by locals for its prominent crown and its annual blooming of bright red flowers, which gave rise to it being dubbed the Phoenix Tree (鳳凰木).
Tainan Community University botanist Huang Jui-kuang (晃瑞光) said the city government had done little to protect the aging tree, and that within a few years, all the precious old trees in the city could be gone.
Greater Tainan Bureau of Agriculture Director Hsu Han-ching (許漢卿) said the bureau had put in a lot of effort to protect the city’s old trees, and he understands the public’s concern for the Phoenix Tree.
“However, it is not fair to accuse the city government of not protecting trees just because one old tree was toppled,” Hsu said. “Workers from the bureau have actively treated diseases in old trees, but the work has not been publicized much, so people do not realize what work has been done, leading them to believe nothing was done to safeguard the old trees.”
The Tainan Old Tree Promotion Association issued a statement yesterday urging the city government to “save old trees from the roots up.”
“We are saddened to see the demise of the 100-plus-year-old landmark tree in the Tang De-jhang Memorial Park, which fell during the typhoon. We request that the city government make a comprehensive survey on the health conditions of all old trees, as well as the ecology of their surrounding environment. From this, the old trees should be classified and receive protective measures accordingly,” the statement said.
Association spokesperson Yang Shu-fen (楊淑芬) said that the city should be more diligent in following up on its regulations on the protection of trees, by allocating more funding and hiring professionals to safeguard the trees, rather than wasting money on frivolous activities like fireworks events.
Yang said that besides the Phoenix Tree, a number of old trees were toppled during Typhoon Matmo, adding that the city government was negligent in its mandate to protect the public treasures.
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,