The family of late army corporal Hung Chung-chiu (洪仲丘) yesterday vowed to appeal after the Taoyuan District Court gave 13 military officials tried in connection with Hung’s death what many viewed as relatively light sentences.
The court on Friday last week found the 13 guilty of abusing their power by restricting Hung’s personal freedom by placing him in disciplinary confinement, and sentenced them to between three and eight months in prison.
“While we had great expectations about the district court, we did not demand specific sentences for the perpetrators. However, the ruling was incomprehensible and shocking to us,” Hu Su-chen (胡素真), Hung’s mother, told a news conference at the Legislative Yuan.
Photo: Chang Chia-ming, Taipei Times
DPP Legislator Yu Mei-nu (尤美女) said the court failed to meet public expectations and to evaluate the case as the result of a structured and collaborative action leading to crime.
The family and the team of volunteer lawyers have no regrets about seeing an end to the military judicial system and the case’s transfer to civil courts, which was facilitated by the massive social response to Hung’s death, lead lawyer Wellington Koo (顧立雄) said.
Past trials, such as those of Nazi suspects for the massacre of the Jews, have taught the world that “those farthest from the killings bear the most responsibility,” but the ruling in Hung’s case did not reflect this widely adopted international theory, Koo said.
Wang Shi (王希), spokesperson for Citizen 1985, the primary organizer of a rally of 250,000 people in August last year to protest the military’s alleged attempt to cover up the case, said the ruling was a “systematic error that distributed responsibility among the defendants.”
Citizen 1985 would continue to monitor the case and has not ruled out another rally, he said.
The DPP caucus said the case showed the need for full judicial reform as the ruling in the first trial has been questioned by the public.
DPP caucus whip Ker Chien-ming (柯建銘) told a press conference that errors in the judgement started with military prosecutors indicting the military suspects on different charges, thereby lessening the responsibility of each defendant.
After the case was transferred from the military court to the civilian court, the judges failed to demand that prosecutors bring up additional charges or change applicable laws, Ker said.
Those mistakes were why the cause of death — whether it was an accident or a result of the behavior or action of others — is still under debate now, he said.
“Given the public’s lack of trust in the judiciary, we say that reforms are needed to save the nation’s judicial system,” Ker said.
Two major reforms are needed: the introduction of a jury system and the enforcement of constitutional petitions to empower the people so that unjust rulings could be remedied, Ker said.
Taiwan might be China’s next target after it has “walled off” Hong Kong from the rest of the world with its new national security legislation, Academia Sinica Institute of Sociology fellow Wu Jieh-min (吳介民) said on Thursday. At a seminar organized by the Economic Democracy Union, the Taiwan Association for Human Rights, the Hong Kong Outlanders and the Judicial Reform Foundation, Wu said that the legislation is simultaneously a fig leaf concealing Beijing’s autocratic rule in Hong Kong and a figurative “Berlin Wall,” denying democratic countries access to Hong Kong. Wu said it is evident that Taiwan would be China’s next target. The
YOUNGEST PATIENT: Cases of botulism have been only sporadically reported over the past few years, with two in 2015, six in 2016 and none in the past three years The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the nation’s first case of infant botulism this year, a four-month-old boy in northern Taiwan, as well as five new cases of Japanese encephalitis confirmed last week. The boy was introduced to homemade solid food in the middle of last month, but began to experience constipation and loss of appetite on June 23, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Deputy Director Guo Hung-wei (郭宏偉) said, adding that he was taken to the hospital when he developed a fever and shortness of breath on June 25. In the hospital, the boy also experienced a rapid heartbeat, limb
SAFETY CONCERNS: A construction company working nearby admitted to negligence in the incident, and is to pay a fine and other expenses related to damages Residents of homes adjacent to an alleyway in New Taipei City’s Yonghe District (永和) on Saturday were forced to evacuate their homes after the road collapsed, the New Taipei City government said yesterday. An 80m by 4m area in an alleyway on Wenhua Road (文化路) collapsed at 10:39am near an apartment building construction site where work was being done on the project’s foundation. The incident also ruptured an underground gas pipe and tilted several buildings in the area. Residents would not be able to return to their homes until tomorrow or Wednesday, when repairs are expected to be finished, the city government said. Workers
CHALLENGER DEEP: Lin Ying-Tsong was invited by Caladan Oceanic founder Victor Vescovo to join him on a 10-hour long trip in the company’s submersible Taiwanese-American Lin Ying-Tsong (林穎聰) last month became the first person from Asia and the 12th in human history to dive into the deepest part on Earth, the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench. Lin, 45, an expert in deep sea acoustics with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) in Massachusetts, joined US adventurer and Caladan Oceanic founder Victor Vescovo, 54, on June 22 in a descent to the central pool of the Challenger Deep, the deepest point of the trench, which lies at a depth of more than 10,900m. The pair made the descent in a submersible named Limiting Factor, a US$37