A second round of fishery talks between Taiwan and Japan began in Suao, Yilan County, yesterday to discuss disputes relating to longline fishing grounds.
Representatives of Taiwan’s fishermen’s associations, as well as officials from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Fisheries Agency, attended the first day of the two-day meeting.
On the Japanese side, fishermen’s representatives, as well as foreign affairs and fishery officials attended the closed-door meeting.
The first round of talks was held in Okinawa in May and covered disputes when operating in overlapping waters, but it failed to achieve substantive consensus.
Sources said that Japanese longline fishing vessels tend to deploy their fishing gear in a north-south direction, while Taiwanese boats generally deploy in an east-west direction, which means that their fishing gear can become entwined, prompting disputes.
The focus of yesterday’s talks was to exchange views on this issue.
Chen Chun-sheng (陳春生), head of the Suao Fishermen’s Association, said before the meeting that there are around 150 Taiwanese fishing boats operating in Taiwan-Japan overlapping waters, while Japan only has a few dozen.
The Japanese side hopes that the Taiwanese fishing boats will start deploying their lines in a north-south direction and that the distance between each ship can be increased from the current 1 nautical mile to at least 4 nautical miles.
Chen said that if Taiwan were to comply with Japan’s request, the number of Taiwanese ships operating in the overlapping areas would have to be reduced to just 50, which would have a severe impact on fishing hauls.
He expressed hope that substantive agreement can be reached in the current round of talks.
Taiwan and Japan reached a fishing agreement in April after on-and-off negotiations that lasted for nearly 17 years.
Under the agreement, Taiwanese and Japanese boats can operate freely in a 74,300km2 area around the disputed Diaoyutai Islands (釣魚台), known in Japan as the Senkaku Islands.
That agreement gave Taiwanese fishermen an additional 4,530km2 in which they can operate free of harassment by the Japanese authorities.
The Diaoyutais, about 100 nautical miles northeast of Taiwan, are claimed by Taiwan, Japan and China. The surrounding waters have long been traditional fishing grounds for Taiwanese fishermen, but they are routinely chased away from the area by the Japanese authorities when they venture too close to what Japan sees as its territorial waters.
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: