The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) yesterday continued to boycott Premier Jiang Yi-huah’s (江宜樺) report to the legislature as Jiang refused to apologize for what the DPP claims is his “infringement of the separation of powers and contempt of the Legislative Yuan.”
Jiang has been unable to deliver his required report since the current legislative session began on Sept. 17 due to disagreement over the demand made by the DPP, which has staged boycotts in four consecutive legislative plenaries.
Two-party negotiations convened by Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) yesterday again failed to resolve the impasse, forcing Jiang and Cabinet members to leave the legislature floor.
However, the negotiations managed to reach a consensus that the central government’s budget plan for next year be sent to eight legislative committees for review, despite the absence of Jiang’s oral report on the budget plan.
The premier is required to issue the report to the legislatures by the Budget Act (預算法).
The DPP insisted that Jiang apologize for a comment in which he described Wang as “incompetent” and for his appearance at a press conference in which President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) accused Wang of improper lobbying, actions which the party says constitute an infringement of the constitutional separation of powers.
The lobbying accusations led the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) to revoke Wang’s membership, sparking a political storm as critics slammed the move as the president’s bid to remove the speaker.
Wang challenged the KMT’s cancelation of his membership in court and won the injunction suit. Wang has been provisionally allowed to keep his KMT membership, as well as his position as a KMT legislator-at-large and legislative speaker.
While Jiang yesterday refused to apologize for his previous comments concerning Wang, an Executive Yuan official said on condition of anonymity that the premier would like to express regret for the disturbances caused by the wiretapping of one of the legislature’s switchboards by the Supreme Prosecutors’ Office Special Investigation Division.
Additional reporting by Shih Hsiu-chuan
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
A Belgian man who tested positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan last week is likely to have contracted the disease in Taipei in late June, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Saturday reported that the man, who is in his 20s, came to Taiwan for work on May 3 and tested positive on Wednesday last week as he was about to depart. The man in March reported loss of taste and smell, the center said, adding that he worked in Changhua County, but visited Taipei several times,