The public opening of the lighthouses on Green Island (綠島), Taitung County, and Taoyuan County’s Baishajia (白沙岬) has been delayed by two months until November, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications said, while Hualien County’s Cilaibi (奇萊鼻) Lighthouse will not start receiving tourists until sometime next year.
Minister of Transportation and Communications Yeh Kuang-shih (葉匡時) toured the Cilaibi Lighthouse and the Cisingtan (七星潭) Scenic Park in May during a visit to Hualien Port.
Citing the beauty of the surrounding scenery, Yeh urged ministry officials to open the lighthouse to tourism as soon as possible to boost the local tourism industry.
Photo: Lee Jung-ping, Taipei Times
The Maritime and Port Bureau has said the lighthouse would be included in the next wave of lighthouses to be opened next year.
The Cilaibi Lighthouse was built by the Japanese in 1931. It was leveled by US bombs during World War II, but was rebuilt in 1963 when the Customs Office expanded the Hualien Port.
With a height of 13.4m and a focal height of 33.4m, the lighthouse’s beacon can be seen from 16.6 nautical miles (30.7km) away, bureau officials said.
A cycling path in the Cisingtan Scenic Park passes by the lighthouse, making the structure a promising scenic spot if it is opened to the public.
The owner of a hostel close to the lighthouse, surnamed Lin (林), said guests planning to visit the park often ask him if the lighthouse is open to the public.
Connecting the park with the lighthouse would enhance the area’s tourism industry by offering visitors the opportunity to climb the lighthouse to get a fantastic view of the Pacific Ocean, which would be a great selling point, he said.
Aside from the potential economic benefits, the lighthouse serves as a prominent landmark in the area, as it is the first thing visitors see when arriving by boat, Lin added.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday found four men guilty of attempted murder in the 2017 stabbing of Spanish surfer Ignacio Prio on a Pingtung County beach in the final ruling in the case, sentencing them to three-and-a-half to six years in prison. The defendants had appealed their convictions for attempted murder in the first and second rulings, which had also led to prison sentences ranging from three-and-a-half years to six years. The then-42-year-old Prio went to Jialeshui Beach (佳樂水) near Kenting (墾丁) on March 31, 2017, was attacked after he asked four men to remove their fishing lines from an area
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
ANOTHER IMPORT: A Filipina who arrived on Friday to visit family developed a fever on Saturday and test results yesterday were positive, making her Taiwan’s 465th case The government’s real-name mask purchasing system is to be continued until at least the end of the year, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported a new imported COVID-19 case from the Philippines. The center would continue to requisition mask production to ensure people can buy masks using the real-name system until the end of December, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥), the CECC’s spokesman. While the CECC requisitions about 8 million masks per day to ensure there are enough for the real-name system, more than 10 million masks are produced per day