The family of army corporal Hung Chung-chiu (洪仲丘) yesterday complained that military courts had not allowed their attorneys to review documents relating to the indictment of 18 military personnel over Hung’s death.
Military prosecutors on Aug. 2 indicted 18 officers and non-commissioned officers. The defendants were brought to the North Military District Court and the High Military Court respectively.
Hung’s sister, Hung Tzu-yung (洪慈庸), said yesterday that the attorneys have been unable to review documents military prosecutors delivered to the military courts along with the indictment.
Photo: Ou Su-mei, Taipei Times
“The military courts said military judges review the documents first, but it’s been more than 10 days since the indictment, and if the attorneys cannot review the documents, they do not know how to proceed during a trial,” she said.
“According to the attorneys, the military courts only have to make a copy of the documents for attorneys to review,” she said. “The lawyers said that in civilian courts, attorneys could normally review indictment documents the day after the indictment.”
While the case is soon to be transferred to the civilian judiciary after an amendment to the Code of Court Martial Procedure (軍事審判法) was passed in the legislature on Tuesday, Hung Tzu-yung said her family hope the amendment takes effect as soon as possible.
She added that both military prosecutors and the lawyers plan to file a second appeal today against the military courts’ decision to release four key defendants.
The High Military Court last week maintained its decision to release the former deputy commander of the 542nd Brigade, Colonel Ho Chiang-chung (何江忠); company commander Major Hsu Shin-cheng (徐信正) and Staff Sergeant Fan Tso-hsien (范佐憲) on bail.
Staff Sergeant Chen Yi-hsun (陳毅勳) was also set free by the North Military District Court last week.
After consecutive days of drill exercises in a military detention facility, Hung died from heatstroke and multiple organ failure in hospital on July 4, just three days before he was due to be discharged from his compulsory military service.
Meanwhile, the Presidential Office said yesterday that President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) would handle the amendments to the code in accordance with constitutional procedures once they are sent to the Presidential Office.
Hung Tzu-yung urged the president to formally announce the amendments before he left for a 12-day trip to Latin America and the Caribbean yesterday and to allow the Taoyuan District Prosecutors Office and district court to take over the case.
Presidential Office spokesperson Lee Chia-fei (李佳霏) said the amendment was still in the legislature prior to being sent to the Presidential Office.
“President Ma will handle the amendment as soon as possible after the Presidential Office receives it,” she said at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport.
Ma is due to return to Taiwan on Aug. 22.
Proposed legislation in the US outlines three conditions in which Washington would be authorized to protect Taiwan were China to invade, a report said yesterday. US Representative Ted Yoho this month said he would introduce a Taiwan Invasion Prevention Act, which would authorize US military force if China were to invade Taiwan-controlled areas, including its outlying islands. According to a version of the bill obtained by the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the sister paper of the Taipei Times), the bill lists three conditions in which a US president would be authorized to use military force to protect Taiwan: If China uses military force
The Supreme Court on Tuesday found four men guilty of attempted murder in the 2017 stabbing of Spanish surfer Ignacio Prio on a Pingtung County beach in the final ruling in the case, sentencing them to three-and-a-half to six years in prison. The defendants had appealed their convictions for attempted murder in the first and second rulings, which had also led to prison sentences ranging from three-and-a-half years to six years. The then-42-year-old Prio went to Jialeshui Beach (佳樂水) near Kenting (墾丁) on March 31, 2017, was attacked after he asked four men to remove their fishing lines from an area
Two new commuter trains are scheduled to be launched in January next year, the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) said yesterday. The acquisition of EMU-900 commuter train cars is part of the railway operator’s plan to replace 589 train cars that have been in operation for more than three decades. The agency has also placed orders to buy 600 intercity train cars. The first batch of 20 EMU-900 cars is to be delivered to the nation in September, although delivery might be delayed until October due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the agency said. The batch would be formed into two trains of 10
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s