The decision was confirmed at the last of the five meetings on July 24 last year, which Jiang said the county government has to follow.
Executive Yuan Deputy Secretary-General Chien Tai-lang (簡太郎), who participated in Friday’s meeting because he attended to the case in 2010 when he was vice interior minister, said yesterday that the policy to demolish the four houses was “set in stone.”
No suggestion was proposed at Friday’s meeting that the committee’s decision on July 24 last year would be reconsidered, he said.
When asked to comment on Wu’s analogy, Taiwan Rural Front (TRF) spokeswoman Frida Tsai (蔡培慧) said Wu should keep his word and stop finding excuses for breaking his promise.
TRF researcher Chen Ping-hsuan (陳平軒) said that while Wu said children should run away from their father when threatened, “so should people resist when the government is tearing down your house.”
As the county government may send in a demolition squad at any time, Tsai said the residents and their supporters are mobilizing activists to safeguard their houses as early as midnight tomorrow.
Additional reporting by Loa Iok-sin