The Taipei City Police Department came under fire in the Taipei City Council yesterday for its handling of a protest in front of the Executive Yuan on Thursday. Several city councilors accused the police of using force against protesters and they urged Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) to examine what they said is an increasing tendency for the police to react violently at large rallies and protests.
Thursday’s protest was against the city’s demolishing the Huaguang Community (華光社區) and there were clashes between protestors and police.
Showing footage of the protest, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei City Councilor Chien Yu-yen (簡余晏) slammed police for hitting protesters with riot shields and injuring some college students.
Police violence against protesters has become common practice, she said, citing police officers using long bamboo poles to jab demonstrators at a Workers’ Day protest on May 1.
“Taipei is the nation’s capital and our police use this type of violence against protesters. Are we returning to the Martial Law era?” she said.
Police Department Commissioner Huang Sheng-yung (黃昇勇) said officers did not intend to hurt the protesters during Thursday’s demonstration and he accused the protesters of being “on the offensive.”
“More than 20 police officers were injured at the rally and police at the scene were only defending themselves,” he said.
His comments angered DPP Taipei City Councilor Lee Ching-feng (李慶鋒), who said there has been an increase in violence by police handling large-scale protests over the past two years, from the rallies over the Wenlin Yuan urban renewal case to those supporting the Huaguang Community.
“In handling recent protests, city police have not only injured protesters, but also violated the freedom of the press by relocating reporters. We are concerned about the regression of human rights in Taipei,” Lee said.
Hau said the police have handled protests in accordance with standard procedures. He said the department had also made videotapes of Thursday’s protest.
He promised to complete a probe on the handling of Thursday’s rally within one week, and said he would release the police video of the entire protest.
“It’s the duty of the police to protect the safety of the people while maintaining public order. The department will not cover up for any officer’s abuse of power,” he said.
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
A Belgian man who tested positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan last week is likely to have contracted the disease in Taipei in late June, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Saturday reported that the man, who is in his 20s, came to Taiwan for work on May 3 and tested positive on Wednesday last week as he was about to depart. The man in March reported loss of taste and smell, the center said, adding that he worked in Changhua County, but visited Taipei several times,