The format of the Democratic Progressive Party’s (DPP) election primary moved back to the heart of discussions after DPP Chairman Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) announced a reform stripping more than 60,000 members of their voting rights, yet most members have been unconvinced about a proposal for an open primary mechanism.
Perplexed by recent controversies surrounding member recruitment involving mass applications and reputed gangsters, Su announced a reform last week that bars members who have belonged for less than a year from voting in party elections.
The new mechanism should be able to avoid interference with intraparty politics by taking advantage of nominal member breeding, a perennial headache for the party, Su said.
However, some members have questioned the initiative, saying that the measure keeps new members from exercising their rights to determine party affairs, and prevents Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) or independent local politicians from joining the DPP because they would be ineligible to be listed on primary ballots.
DPP Legislator Chen Chi-mai (陳其邁) renewed his call for an overhaul of the primary format, which adopts the spirit of the US open primary system by asking voters to register before a party primary.
Chen and other DPP lawmakers planned to propose amending the Political Party Act (政黨法) and the DPP’s internal regulations to legalize government-organized party primaries.
The proposed format was used to determine the DPP’s presidential candidate in the presidential election in 1996, but has not been implemented since.
Former DPP chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) did not reveal her preference when asked about it yesterday, but said “it is imperative for Taiwan to develop a party primary mechanism based on its unique political environment,” as transplanting a foreign system would not necessarily be the best option.
“Reforming the primary system, which has been discussed repeatedly in the party without consensus, requires legislation and inter-party consensus,” Tsai said.
The KMT has never supported changing the primary format.
Former premier Yu Shyi-kun (游錫堃) supported the proposed initiative, saying that it would be “the best way to prevent the primary being kidnapped or dominated by party factions.”
Some have also suggested that the DPP charts its own course by unilaterally adopting the open primary format, without seeking collaboration from the KMT.
While the open primary format would further enforce democratic values, which is good for Taiwanese politics in the long term, “there is no guarantee that the KMT will not try to mobilize people and interfere with the DPP primary,” DPP Legislator Hsiao Bi-khim (蕭美琴) and New Taipei City (新北市) office director Lo Chih-cheng (羅致政) said.
Hsiao and Lo, who deal with voters, party members and local communities on a daily basis, said an open primary would sacrifice party members’ rights, a move which is not likely to benefit the party in the long run.
Hsu Yung-ming (徐永明), an assistant professor at Soochow University, said the DPP could keep its “one-year rule” on voting rights intact, but should allow new members to be listed as candidates in party primaries so that the DPP’s local development would not be jeopardized by the rule.
The proposal has not been formally discussed within the party, DPP spokesperson Lin Chun-hsien (林俊憲) said, adding that the party’s nomination process would be determined by the Central Executive Committee and party congress, which is scheduled to be held at the end of this month.
A total lunar eclipse coinciding with the Lantern Festival on March 3 would be Taiwan’s most notable celestial event this year, the Taipei Astronomical Museum said, urging skywatchers not to miss it. There would be four eclipses worldwide this year — two solar eclipses and two lunar eclipses — the museum’s Web site says. Taiwan would be able to observe one of the lunar eclipses in its entirety on March 3. The eclipse would be visible as the moon rises at 5:50pm, already partly shaded by the Earth’s shadow, the museum said. It would peak at about 7:30pm, when the moon would
A New York-based NGO has launched a global initiative to rename the nation’s overseas missions, most of which operate under the name "Taipei," to "Taiwan Representative Office (TRO)," according to a news release. Ming Chiang (江明信), CEO of Hello Taiwan, announced the campaign at a news conference in Berlin on Monday, coinciding with the World Forum held from Monday through Wednesday, the institution stated in the release. Speaking at the event, Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Huang Jie (黃捷) said she believed this renaming campaign would enable the international community to see Taiwan
DEFENSE: The US should cancel the US visas or green cards of relatives of KMT and TPP lawmakers who have been blocking the budget, Grant Newsham said A retired US Marine Corps officer has suggested canceling the US green cards and visas of relatives of opposition Taiwanese lawmakers who have been stalling the review of a proposed NT$1.25 trillion (US$39.7 billion) special defense budget. The Executive Yuan has proposed the budget for major weapons purchases over eight years, from this year to 2033. However, opposition lawmakers have refused to review the proposal, demanding that President William Lai (賴清德) first appear before the Legislative Yuan to answer questions about the proposed budget. On Thursday last week, 37 bipartisan US lawmakers sent a letter to Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜), the heads
TOO DANGEROUS: The families agreed to suspend crewed recovery efforts that could put rescuers in danger from volcanic gases and unstable terrain The bodies of two Taiwanese tourists and a Japanese pilot have been located inside a volcanic crater, Japanese authorities said yesterday, nearly a month after a sightseeing helicopter crashed during a flight over southwestern Japan. Drone footage taken at the site showed three bodies near the wreckage of the aircraft inside a crater on Mount Aso in Kumamoto Prefecture, police and fire officials said. The helicopter went missing on Jan. 20 and was later found on a steep slope inside the Nakadake No. 1 Crater, about 50m below the rim. Authorities said that conditions at the site made survival highly unlikely, and ruled