The American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) yesterday remained steadfast over what it said was a “contractual dispute” between a US company and three Taiwanese subcontractors engaged in building its new office compound in Taipei’s Neihu District (內湖), but said it would to continue to engage with the US general contractor to address the issue.
Representatives of the subcontractors to US-based Weston Solutions yesterday presented a petition to the AIT seeking a provision of financial relief from the US Department of State because defaults by the general contractor had affected their revenues.
Wei Chuan Arch Contracting Co, Cherng-Her Construction Co and Area Energy said Weston Solutions owed them more than NT$470 million (US$15.9 million) dating back to September 2011.
Photo: Chang Chia-ming, Taipei Times
Gathering at the AIT’s Taipei office on Xinyi Road, about 100 workers, some of whom are owed more than two months’ wages, said that the institute is “duty-bound” to help resolve the issue.
Workers wore overalls, reflective vests and helmets, despite work at the construction site having been suspended since late last month because of the payment dispute.
“Give me my salary. I have to survive. The AIT, step forward,” the workers shouted, holding banners and “anti-bullying” placards.
Area Energy vice general manager Chuang Kuo-chang (莊國昌) said that Weston Solutions has missed payments since July 2011, adding that the debts owed to the company have reached NT$230 million.
Weston Solutions’ failure to pay has affected not only the firm’s 50 workers seconded to the AIT project in Neihu, but also the entire company, which has 400 staff, Chuang said.
“Complicated by the fact that the banks always furl their umbrellas on rainy days, the company is now facing a cash squeeze,” he added.
A Wei Chuan Arch employee said he has not been paid in two months.
Wei Chuan Arch representative Tu Chung-jen (涂崇仁) said the firm hoped the US Department of State could provide it with at least half of the amount of debt to allow construction on the site to resume.
Tu said about 160 workers hired by the subcontractors had quit, were laid off or have been put on unpaid leave, while companies have pulled machinery and equipment off site, forcing a complete work stoppage.
AIT spokesperson Mark Zimmer received the petition letter.
Tu told Zimmer that they were appealing to the AIT for help over the “unfair treatment” they have endured so that justice can be done.
Later, in a telephone interview with reporters, Zimmer said that the AIT would convey the letter to the appropriate authorities in Washington.
“The AIT is extremely concerned by the matter and is aware of the firms’ frustrations,” he said.
The US Department of State’s Bureau of Overseas Buildings Operations has been in contact with Weston Solutions to tell them that they need to adhere to their contract and fulfill obligations to Taiwanese subcontractors, he said.
Asked to respond to the request for financial relief, Zimmer declined to comment on the “hypothetical scenario.”
“At this point, we are looking at the best way to handle it [the dispute], but in the meantime, it’s still a dispute with Weston. I cannot speak about hypothetical solutions at this point,” he said.
Zimmer did not provide a timeline to assess the subcontractors’ request and reiterated that the issue, at this time, “is still a contract dispute.”
“At the same time, we are engaging with Weston Solutions and hoping that there will be a solution in the near future,” he said.
A total lunar eclipse coinciding with the Lantern Festival on March 3 would be Taiwan’s most notable celestial event this year, the Taipei Astronomical Museum said, urging skywatchers not to miss it. There would be four eclipses worldwide this year — two solar eclipses and two lunar eclipses — the museum’s Web site says. Taiwan would be able to observe one of the lunar eclipses in its entirety on March 3. The eclipse would be visible as the moon rises at 5:50pm, already partly shaded by the Earth’s shadow, the museum said. It would peak at about 7:30pm, when the moon would
A New York-based NGO has launched a global initiative to rename the nation’s overseas missions, most of which operate under the name "Taipei," to "Taiwan Representative Office (TRO)," according to a news release. Ming Chiang (江明信), CEO of Hello Taiwan, announced the campaign at a news conference in Berlin on Monday, coinciding with the World Forum held from Monday through Wednesday, the institution stated in the release. Speaking at the event, Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Huang Jie (黃捷) said she believed this renaming campaign would enable the international community to see Taiwan
DEFENSE: The US should cancel the US visas or green cards of relatives of KMT and TPP lawmakers who have been blocking the budget, Grant Newsham said A retired US Marine Corps officer has suggested canceling the US green cards and visas of relatives of opposition Taiwanese lawmakers who have been stalling the review of a proposed NT$1.25 trillion (US$39.7 billion) special defense budget. The Executive Yuan has proposed the budget for major weapons purchases over eight years, from this year to 2033. However, opposition lawmakers have refused to review the proposal, demanding that President William Lai (賴清德) first appear before the Legislative Yuan to answer questions about the proposed budget. On Thursday last week, 37 bipartisan US lawmakers sent a letter to Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜), the heads
TOO DANGEROUS: The families agreed to suspend crewed recovery efforts that could put rescuers in danger from volcanic gases and unstable terrain The bodies of two Taiwanese tourists and a Japanese pilot have been located inside a volcanic crater, Japanese authorities said yesterday, nearly a month after a sightseeing helicopter crashed during a flight over southwestern Japan. Drone footage taken at the site showed three bodies near the wreckage of the aircraft inside a crater on Mount Aso in Kumamoto Prefecture, police and fire officials said. The helicopter went missing on Jan. 20 and was later found on a steep slope inside the Nakadake No. 1 Crater, about 50m below the rim. Authorities said that conditions at the site made survival highly unlikely, and ruled