The Ministry of Transportation and Communications yesterday said it will introduce wheelchair-accessible taxi service for disabled or elderly passengers as well as for pregnant women in five special municipalities this year.
Currently, those wanting to use wheelchair-accessible bus service need to make reservations in advance, but the service is only available on certain routes at set hours.
The ministry said that the demand for wheelchair-accessible facilities is likely to rise as the nation ages. Aside from the wheelchair-accessible bus service, the ministry said that it plans to include taxis as part of the transport service.
The ministry added that similar services already exist in other countries. It said taxis in London were all equipped with wheelchair ramp foldouts, which drivers can use to assist passengers in wheelchairs to access the vehicle.
Wheelchair-accessible taxis in the US and Hong Kong allow those using electric wheelchairs to enter the car through a ramp at the back of the vehicle. The service in the US is available around the clock and taxis can be booked by telephone or online.
Based on the ministry’s plan, a trial run of the service is scheduled to be launched in the five special municipalities in the first quarter of the year. Disabled or elderly passengers and pregnant women are eligible for the service.
The ministry said that it was considering giving taxi drivers planning to offer such services a NT$400,000 subsidy toward purchasing properly equipped vehicles, which would also cover customs taxes.
A similar scheme was employed by the government for those importing low-floor or wheelchair-accessible buses, under which owners of these two types of vehicles were given custom tax-free privileges, the ministry added.
The subsidy would be given to taxi firms qualified to offer such services through a public review mechanism carried out by local governments who are in charge of regulating taxi services, the ministry said.
Subsidies would be granted to independent taxi drivers only if they are able to allow users to make reservations in advance, which the ministry said is necessary to make optimum use of the service.
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying:
BILINGUAL ASSISTANCE: The center launched a chat bot that features Chinese and English interfaces to provide foreigners with instant information about the pandemic The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said that it would discuss with other nations the possibility of allowing businesspeople to visit on a case-by-case basis. Asked about loosening border restrictions, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said at the daily CECC news briefing that while the center is cautious about opening the nation’s borders, it would aim to diminish obstacles for important trade interactions without risking transmission of the novel coronavirus. Several foreign representatives in Taiwan have expressed an interest in the matter and the center would conduct related negotiations with the help of the
DELUSIONAL: The male patient said he did not know that the woman had mental problems, but the court said that her being restrained in isolation should have given him pause The Taiwan High Court has ordered the Jhudong branch of the Taiwan National University Hospital and a male patient to jointly pay a former female patient’s family NT$400,000 in compensation after the man had sex with the woman, who has mental problems, while hospitalized. The 26-year-old woman has been diagnosed with a mental disorder, a symptom of which is that she obsessively seeks to have sex, her mother said. The mother filed a formal complaint and sought damages from the hospital and the male patient surnamed Chen (陳) after finding out that her daughter had sex with the man while