Former vice chairman of Chinatrust Financial Holding Co Jeffrey Koo Jr (辜仲諒) yesterday had his attorneys pay a guarantee fund of NT$1 billion (US$34.3 million) after the Taiwan High Court on Thursday evening granted his application to leave the country temporarily to visit his sick father, Jeffrey Koo Sr (辜濂松), in the US.
Koo Jr, who was sentenced to nine years in jail by the Taipei District Court for his company’s illegal purchase of a stake in Mega Financial Holding Co, has been banned from leaving the country since December 2008
The case is pending in the Taiwan High Court.
The High Court on Thursday evening ruled that it would allow Koo Jr to leave the country from yesterday until Dec. 21, providing the NT$1 billion guarantee was paid.
Koo Jr fled the country in November 2006 during prosecutors’ investigation, staying in Japan, among other places.
He returned to Taiwan in December 2008 to stand trial.
The Taipei District Court ruled that he had violated the Securities Exchange Act (證券交易法) and the Banking Act (銀行法).
The district court said Koo Jr and several company executives used NT$27.5 billion to buy a 9.9 percent stake in Mega Financial through a Hong Kong branch of Chinatrust in 2004, without the approval of the Chinatrust board.
That included the illegal purchase of US$390 million in loan notes, convertible into Mega Financial shares, using money earmarked for deposits and then locking in profits from the transaction through insider trading, it said.
The deals, known locally as the Red Fire Case after the name of the offshore company used to conduct the transactions, surfaced following prosecutors’ investigations into a bid by Chinatrust Financial to take over Mega Financial.
Red Fire Developments, capitalized at US$1, was set up in Hong Kong under the instructions of Koo Jr the ruling said.
He made US$30.47 million in profit from illegal trading and did not return the money to his company, harming the company’s interests, it said.
The court said that in 2006, Koo Jr. returned US$20.9 million to a Chinatrust branch overseas after the Financial Supervisory Commission discovered the irregularity, but he still kept US$9.57 million in a Hong Kong-based front company controlled by the Koo family.
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,