The Ministry of National Defense (MND) yesterday said that military prosecutors had decided not to indict Rear Admiral Chang Feng-chiang (張鳳強), whose fleet sailed beyond an area designated for a military exercise toward a Japanese island late last month.
The ministry told a press conference that military prosecutors had ruled that Chang did not disobey instructions and did not defy accepted tactics during the drill, and that he did not refuse to execute scheduled operations.
Feng did not violate military regulations when leaving an area designated for a unit without authorization or regulations on disobeying a superior’s instruction, it said.
On July 25 and July 26, Chang’s fleet sailed out of an area planned for a military exercise and moved toward the Japanese island of Yonaguni, about 100km east of Taiwan, raising alarm in Japan.
Minister of National Defense Kao Hua-chu (高華柱) ordered military prosecutors to launch an investigation into the matter.
Chang was given a major demerit and moved to a different post because of the incident.
However, the former fleet commander said he sent a cable telling his superiors about his plan to sail off the designated course, but received no reply, which he took as approval of his intentions.