Cholera warning for Nepal
Travelers to Nepal should take precautions against cholera, which has caused a number of deaths in the South Asian country this year, the Centers for Disease Control said on Saturday. A total of 29 people in Nepal have died of the illness, which has symptoms that include diarrhea and dehydration, the centers said. Most people hospitalized for cholera in Kathmandu contracted the infectious disease after drinking untreated water, it said, adding that western parts of the country have also reported infections. The centers warned travelers to the country against buying food from roadside vendors and advised people to only eat cooked food, drink bottled water and wash their hands frequently.
Taipei opens archive doors
The Taipei City Archives is holding an exhibition on various aspects of the city’s history, including politics, industry, urban development, culture and lifestyle, at the Boliliao Historic Block to celebrate its 60th anniversary. The exhibition, titled Taipei First, runs until Sept. 28 at the facility in Taipei’s Wanhua District (萬華). It features photographs, postcards and other documents that tell stories about the city’s history. According to the organizers, the exhibition provides visitors with a chance to learn about the city’s past and its transition to modern times. The city’s first city block, for example, was developed on Guiyang Street, a popular destination for businesspeople seeking to trade food and goods. The first Western-style community, on the other hand, was formed in 1885 on Quide Street in Datung District (大同) when then-Taiwan governor Liu Mingchuan (劉銘傳) built Western-style buildings for foreign traders. Many valuable documents, including a specimen of the first-imported batch of Penglai rice (蓬萊米), old city maps and land leases can also be found at the exhibition. The block that houses the exhibition opens from 10am to 5pm from Tuesdays to Fridays and to 6pm on Saturdays and Sundays. The block is closed on Mondays.
Navy officers face discipline
The Taiwanese navy yesterday said the Naval Personnel Rights Protection Committee would hold a meeting to discuss disciplinary measures to be taken against several officers after warships veered off course and entered a Japanese economic exclusion zone during a military drill last month, and the conclusions will be sent to the Ministry of National Defense for approval. The committee meeting will be chaired by Deputy Chief of the Navy Vice Admiral Liu Jun-Ying (劉俊英) and eight experts in maritime and administrative law. Seven naval representatives will also participate. Chief of the Navy Admiral Tung Hsiang-lung (董翔龍) said he was responsible for the mistake and should be disciplined. The navy said the committee would clarify who is to be held responsible for the incident and suggest disciplinary action. The ministry last week revoked a decision by the navy to punish several officers previously held responsible for the incident. On July 25 and July 26, Rear Admiral Chang Feng-chiang’s (張鳳強) fleet sailed out of the area designated for the military exercise toward the Japanese island of Yonaguni, about 100km east of Taiwan, raising alarm in Japan. The former fleet commander said that he sent a cable to his superiors about his plan to sail off course, but received no reply, which he took to be approval of his intentions.