Thu, Dec 08, 2011 - Page 3 News List

2012 ELECTIONS: NSB rebuffs Lin’s electromagnetic radiation claims

Staff Writer, with CNA

The National Security Bureau (NSB) said on Tuesday that it had neither the technology nor the devices to disturb anyone seeking elected office.

The bureau’s press release came in response to repeated claims by People First Party vice presidential candidate Lin Ruey-shiung (林瑞雄) that he had been attacked by 18,750 kilohertz (kHz) electromagnetic waves for three consecutive nights from Sept. 20.

If Lin has any concerns about being disturbed by what he calls “electromagnetic radiation,” he could apply for a test by the “responsible government agency,” the bureau said.

According to Lin, he was unable to sleep for three nights and was eventually forced to move to a hotel, “otherwise I would have gone mad.”

He repeated his claim on Tuesday while campaigning in Greater Taichung and said he knew it was an electromagnetic radiation attack because he is a professional in that area. Lin is a public health expert whose specialty includes cancer risks from electromagnetic radiation.

It would require a sophisticated technique to launch such an attack, Lin said while visiting a high-tech company in the Central Taiwan Science Park.

The bureau quoted the National Communications Commission as saying that neither the military or the bureau nor any other government unit has applied to use the 1,875kHz frequency.

The bureau said it would never break the law by eavesdropping on anyone and that if its staff were monitoring a subject as part of their duties, they would abide by the Communication Security and Surveillance Act (通訊保障及監察法).

This story has been viewed 2194 times.
TOP top