People First Party (PFP) Chairman James Soong (宋楚瑜) yesterday reiterated his determination to run for the presidency and expressed confidence that he would be able to collect 1 million signatures.
In an interview with CCTV, Soong said his petition was proceeding smoothly, but declined to reveal the number of signatures collected so far.
“I’m confident about the petition. I will register my presidential candidacy in November and I am determined to join the presidential election. Otherwise, I wouldn’t waste my time seeking financial support and finding a running mate,” he said.
The 69-year-old returned to the political spotlight again after he announced in July he would run for the presidency. He vowed to collect 1 million signatures in a presidential petition — far more than the 257,695 required (1.5 percent of the eligible voters in the previous legislative elections) and said he would not join the race if he failed to reach that goal.
The PFP has said more than 40,000 signatures were collected on Sept. 22, the first day the petition was available.
Soong yesterday refused to reveal the number of signatures collected so far, but insisted he was happy with the result.
“We are satisfied with the result so far, but it is unnecessary to reveal the exact number … I will run for the presidency. I will not join the legislative election and I will not be included in the legislator-at-large list,” he said.
When asked whether he will participate in the Double Ten National Day Ceremony on Oct. 10, Soong said he would attend the event to pay tribute to the Republic of China, while shrugging off speculation that he might meet President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) at the occasion.
“I will definitely attend the ceremony … and I don’t think President Ma will discuss cooperation between the KMT and the PFP with me during the ceremony,” he said.
SPEEDING ELETRIC VEHICLES: Available without license requirements, the low-cost vehicles, especially if illicitly modified, can often reach a dangerous speed The government should crack down on illegal electric bicycles and scooters, the non-profit Consumers’ Foundation said on Friday, citing research on the potentially dangerous speed of the vehicles. Electric bicycles and lightweight electric scooters have gained popularity as they do not require registration and riders do not need licenses, the foundation said, adding that as many as 40 percent of them can reach speeds exceeding the legal limit of 25kph for non-licensed two-wheelers. Some consumers also purchased legal electric vehicles and modified them to reach higher speeds, it said. “If the government does not step up efforts to confiscate these
‘RELIABLE PARTNER’: US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar praised the ‘Taiwan model,’ saying that the nation brought its spirit to its COVID-19 response The first memorandum of understanding (MOU) on health cooperation between the Ministry of Health and Welfare and the US Department of Health and Human Services was yesterday signed at the Centers for Disease Control in Taipei. The memorandum was signed between the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) and the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office in the US, by AIT Director Brent Christensen and Taiwan Council for US Affairs Chairperson Jen-ni Yang (楊珍妮). US Secretary of Health and Human Services Alex Azar and Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中) witnessed the signing of the memorandum, designed to enhance the nations’
Minister of Foreign Affairs Joseph Wu (吳釗燮) yesterday tweeted a welcome to Somaliland’s first representative to Taiwan, Mohamed Omar Hagi Mohamoud, who arrived on Friday. Mohamoud had “braved Chinese pressure” to take up his new post, Wu wrote. “The fact ‘sovereignty & friendship aren’t for sale’ deserves international recognition,” referring to a Somaliland media report earlier this month that Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi had rejected an offer by the Chinese government in exchange for ending its rapprochement with Taiwan. Wu also thanked the US National Security Council (NSC) for praising Taiwan-Somaliland ties. A council tweet on July 10 praised Taiwan
The Taipei City Government yesterday said that construction on the long-suspended Taipei Dome can resume immediately, after it approved a request by the project’s main contractor, Farglory Group. In a statement, the Taipei Construction Management Office said that after it on July 16 issued a new building permit, Farglory submitted revised design plans and an application to resume construction, which the office approved on Friday. Construction had been suspended on the dome, near the Sun Yat-sen Memorial Hall in Xinyi District (信義), for more than five years due to disagreements between the city and the company over the safety of some of