Tue, May 17, 2011 - Page 3 News List

Audit shows only quarter of post-Morakot fund used

By Chen Hui-ping  /  Staff Reporter

The National Audit Office’s annual report on government spending shows that only 25.26 percent of the Special Fund for Post-Morakot Reconstruction was used by the end of last year.

Typhoon Morakot, which battered southern Taiwan from Aug. 7 until Aug. 10, 2009, caused the most devastating flooding since 1959, as well as multiple landslides. The typhoon killed 677 people and 22 were never found.

The report, which was released in March, said that by the end of 2009, only NT$8.3 billion (US$289 million) of the total NT$33.1 billion in the special fund had been used and that reconstruction was seriously behind schedule.

The report listed five agencies, including the Council of Indigenous Peoples, the Bureau of Energy and the Directorate--General of Highways, as not having a budget for post-typhoon reconstruction and called on those agencies to review and improve matters accordingly.

Data released in April last year by the Public Construction Commission showed that as of the end of February last year, NT$290 million had yet to be distributed to post-Morakot reconstruction projects.

However, no projects had been proposed for funding, the report said.

The legislature’s Internal Administration Committee has passed draft amendments to the Special Statute Governing Morakot Post-Reconstruction (莫拉克颱風災後重建特別條例) stipulating that reconstruction projects that have run their course and which need an extension must be submitted to the Executive Yuan for review, with a maximum extension period of two years.

TRANSLATED BY JAKE CHUNG, STAFF WRITER

This story has been viewed 1807 times.
TOP top