Minister of National Defense Kao Hua-chu (高華柱) yesterday said the ministry hoped to clear the name of Chiang Kuo-ching (江國慶), who was wrongfully executed by the military 14 years ago for the rape and murder of a five-year-old girl, within six months.
Kao said that while he has no control over the duration of legal proceedings, the ministry aims to fulfill the request by Chiang’s family in less than six months, if all goes well.
“Our attitude is there can be no mistake again during the process,” he said. “That is the basic principle.”
The ministry has apologized twice to Chiang’s family.
President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), who visited the family on Tuesday, told reporters he had instructed the ministry and the Ministry of Justice (MOJ) to fully assist the family so Chiang’s name could be cleared and his family could obtain compensation.
Chiang’s mother and uncle have said they care more about clearing his name than receiving compensation.
Kao said Ma had instructed the justice ministry to help the family seek compensation and file for a retrial at the Military High Court.
As Chiang’s family has requested that his conviction and death sentence be revoked, Kao said the government would adopt the fastest legal approach.
Ma on Tuesday said a retrial would probably be the least time-consuming and vowed the administration would do its best to shorten the process.
Meanwhile, Presidential Office spokesman Lo Chih-chiang (羅智強) said there were many ways by which Chiang’s name could be cleared, including a retrial or presidential pardon.
Lo’s remark came in the wake of an open letter by former Democratic Progressive Party chairman Shih Ming-teh (施明德) to Ma, urging him to grant Chiang a presidential pardon.
Lo said the administration would take Shih’s suggestion into consideration, adding that Ma would invite legal experts to discuss possible solutions — including a retrial or a presidential pardon.
“The goal is to declare Chiang innocent as quickly as possible and to help his family obtain compensation,” Lo said.
Chiang was executed on Aug. 13, 1997, but his family continued to fight to clear his name. The defense ministry filed an extraordinary appeal and reopened the case after the Control Yuan censured it over the case in May last year.
A report by the Control Yuan suggested that Hsu Jung-chou (許榮洲), who has a record of sexual offenses, committed the crime. It said that Hsu confessed to the crime two months before Chiang was convicted, giving a clear account of the girl’s clothing and details of the crime.
However, a psychiatric examination concluded that Hsu was mentally retarded, making his confession invalid, the report said.
Hsu was convicted of raping another six-year-old girl in May 1997 in Taichung. He served only four years in prison after his sentence was commuted. He was convicted of kidnapping and sexually abusing two more five-year-old girls in April 2003 and was sentenced to four years in prison. He was released in September last year.
DISTRUST WARRANTED? The WHO is under China’s control and has become a useless organization, while data from China cannot be trusted, a Control Yuan member said China’s demand that the novel coronavirus that emerged in Wuhan, Hubei Province, not be referred to with names like the “Wuhan pneumonia” betrays its lack of confidence in itself, Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) told lawmakers yesterday. Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Tsai Yi-yu (蔡易餘) asked Su, during a interpellation at the Legislative Yuan in Taipei, for his view on China’s attempts to redeem its national image in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. These included China’s efforts to “bleach” its image, including having WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus publicly praise its handling of the COVID-19 outbreak, and thanking it for buying time
TOO TIRED: Investigators found that the pilot’s lack of alertness could be attributed to a lack of sleep the previous night, when he had slept with his child It was a copilot’s inappropriate operation of the aircraft and the pilot’s insufficient alertness that led to a hard landing of a China Airlines cargo flight on Dec. 13, 2018, the Taiwan Transportation Safety Board said yesterday. Flight CI6844, a Boeing 747-409 which departed from Hong Kong International Airport, landed on the pre-threshold area of runway L5 at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, about 21m before the head of the runway, an investigation report said. The hard landing damaged three runway lights, but none of the personnel on board sustained any injuries, the report said. When approaching the runway, the copilot failed to maintain
Taipei residents who stay at hotels in the city during their 14-day mandatory quarantine period are eligible to apply for the city’s NT$7,000 subsidy, with online applications to be launched next week. Taipei Deputy Mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊) on Monday said Taipei residents who have COVID-19 Health Declaration and Home Quarantine Notice dated after March 19 and a quarantine hotel receipt for the dates covered by the quarantine period, would be eligible for the subsidy. The Taipei City Government on Sunday told the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) that so many city residents are under home quarantine that about 90 percent of
REPEAT OFFENDER: The man went outside for exercise on Wednesday and then left his home on Saturday with his girlfriend, officials said A New Taipei City man has been fined NT$400,000 (US$13,221) and ordered into government quarantine after breaking home quarantine for a second time on Saturday. The 25-year-old man, surnamed Chen (陳) returned to Taiwan on Sunday last week and was ordered to home quarantine until Sunday. He was seen leaving his home on a scooter with his girlfriend on Saturday, three days after he was fined NT$200,000 for going outside to exercise, police said. Chen has now been placed in a quarantine center arranged by the district office and health center of the district where he lives, police said. Police warned the public