A recent series of labor inspections targeted at dispatch and contract workers at 70 high-tech dispatch companies found that only seven firms met regulations and as many as 90 percent of the firms were in breach of labor laws.
The inspections, which were conducted by the Council of Labor Affairs between July and September last year, included surprise inspections of manpower companies that supply dispatch and contract workers to -factories and plants used by high-tech companies in science parks in Hsinchu, Greater Taichung and Greater Tainan.
The companies were assessed for their compliance with labor regulations, such as gender equality in the workplace, wages, work hours, labor insurance, labor pension, legality of contracts and others.
A majority of the 63 companies investigated had committed some form of labor violation, for a combined total of 179 violations.
Close to 40 percent of the -companies were found to be delinquent in adjusting contributions to employees’ labor pensions.
Thirty-nine percent of the companies did not truthfully report their employees’ salaries to the Bureau of Labor Insurance, while 30 percent did not establish any form of employee working standards.
The manpower companies were also responsible for overworking of their employees, with 26 percent of firms found to demand excessive overtime, 21 percent of not providing overtime pay, 17 percent of not allowing employees to take time off they were entitled to and 10 percent of engaging in illegal contracts.
However, the council declined to publicize a list of the companies that committed the labor violations, saying it had no legal authority to do so.
Department of Labor Management Relations section chief Wang Hou-wei (王厚偉) said the results of the inspections showed that the violations were severe and the working environment for dispatch and contract workers was “highly inadequate.”
“The main reason [for the high rate of violations] is that companies in the dispatch industry have a wide range of qualities,” he said.
“We have informed the science park administrations of the labor inspection results and will continue to crack down on violators this year,” he added.
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,