Jaw Shaw-kong’s (趙少康) plan to split the assets at Broadcasting Corp of China (BCC) suffered a major setback when the National Communications Commission (NCC) rejected the firm’s application again yesterday.
Commission spokesperson Chen Jeng-chang (陳正倉) said Jaw and his associates purchased the station in 2006 and promised it would become a publicly traded firm within two years.
Jaw has yet to fulfill this promise, Chen said.
According to Chen, Jaw had said he wanted to focus on the radio station and had no intention of managing the properties he gained in the deal.
“The NCC conditionally approved the purchase in 2006 because it was then a company that had assets of more than NT$3 billion(US$97 million),” Chen said. “An asset management firm would reduce the BCC’s total assets to NT$250 million, making the situation very different from the one we agreed upon.”
“Given Jaw’s failure to deliver on his promise and the company’s pending property lawsuits with the Ministry of Transportation and Communications, the National Communication Commission members unanimously agreed to maintain the ruling we made last year and reject the company’s application to divide its assets,” Chen said.
Jaw had also promised he would return the two national radio networks after the commission assigned them to new radio operators. However, he has not done so because the commission has yet to host the bidding session for a new batch of radio licenses, Chen said.
Yesterday’s decision was seen as a major blow for Jaw.
In 2008, the BCC applied to issue new stocks and divide its assets by dividing the corporation into a radio company and an asset management company. In November last year, the commission approved the BCC’s application to issue new shares, but rejected its application to divide its assets
The BCC appealed the ruling to the Executive Yuan in December last year. In May, the Executive Yuan annulled the ruling and asked the commission to review the application again. The commission held a hearing in August and invited Jaw, media researchers and others to give their opinions.
The BCC purchase has a troubled history. The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) sold the BCC to the China Times Group subsidiary Jungli Investment Co in 2005 for NT$9.3 billion. China Television Co and the Central Motion Picture Corp were included in the deal. However, the deal was later canceled after the China Times Group couldn’t pay the full amount.
In 2006, Hua Hsia Investment Holding Co, which is owned by the KMT, sold the BCC to Jaw.
In other developments, Azio TV was fined NT$1 million for violating the Satellite Broadcasting Act (衛星廣播電視法) by failing to separate commercials from its regular programs.
Chen said the hosts of a cooking program on Azio had discussed the functions of cooking pots used in the program and told the audiences where they could purchase them.
“As they committed similar violations on 21 occasions in the past two years, the penalty will be heavier this time,” Chen said.
Meanwhile, Chen said the commission was planning to make provision of digital cable TV service mandatory by amending the Cable Television Act (有線廣播電視法). The government wants to boost the penetration rate of digital cable service from 7 percent to 50 percent by 2015.
TOO TIRED: Investigators found that the pilot’s lack of alertness could be attributed to a lack of sleep the previous night, when he had slept with his child It was a copilot’s inappropriate operation of the aircraft and the pilot’s insufficient alertness that led to a hard landing of a China Airlines cargo flight on Dec. 13, 2018, the Taiwan Transportation Safety Board said yesterday. Flight CI6844, a Boeing 747-409 which departed from Hong Kong International Airport, landed on the pre-threshold area of runway L5 at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, about 21m before the head of the runway, an investigation report said. The hard landing damaged three runway lights, but none of the personnel on board sustained any injuries, the report said. When approaching the runway, the copilot failed to maintain
DISTRUST WARRANTED? The WHO is under China’s control and has become a useless organization, while data from China cannot be trusted, a Control Yuan member said China’s demand that the novel coronavirus that emerged in Wuhan, Hubei Province, not be referred to with names like the “Wuhan pneumonia” betrays its lack of confidence in itself, Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) told lawmakers yesterday. Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Tsai Yi-yu (蔡易餘) asked Su, during a interpellation at the Legislative Yuan in Taipei, for his view on China’s attempts to redeem its national image in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. These included China’s efforts to “bleach” its image, including having WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus publicly praise its handling of the COVID-19 outbreak, and thanking it for buying time
REPEAT OFFENDER: The man went outside for exercise on Wednesday and then left his home on Saturday with his girlfriend, officials said A New Taipei City man has been fined NT$400,000 (US$13,221) and ordered into government quarantine after breaking home quarantine for a second time on Saturday. The 25-year-old man, surnamed Chen (陳) returned to Taiwan on Sunday last week and was ordered to home quarantine until Sunday. He was seen leaving his home on a scooter with his girlfriend on Saturday, three days after he was fined NT$200,000 for going outside to exercise, police said. Chen has now been placed in a quarantine center arranged by the district office and health center of the district where he lives, police said. Police warned the public
Taipei residents who stay at hotels in the city during their 14-day mandatory quarantine period are eligible to apply for the city’s NT$7,000 subsidy, with online applications to be launched next week. Taipei Deputy Mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊) on Monday said Taipei residents who have COVID-19 Health Declaration and Home Quarantine Notice dated after March 19 and a quarantine hotel receipt for the dates covered by the quarantine period, would be eligible for the subsidy. The Taipei City Government on Sunday told the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) that so many city residents are under home quarantine that about 90 percent of