A long-running power struggle over the chairmanship of the state-funded Taiwan Public Television Service Foundation (PTS) showed no signs of abating yesterday after six board members said they would counter sue the Government Information Office (GIO).
The six include acting chairman Cheng Tung-liao (鄭同僚), who has been unable to legally carry out his position since the GIO filed an injunction against him and six other board members accusing them of illegally convening board meetings.
In a statement released by Cheng and signed by the other directors, Cheng called the GIO’s suit “illegal and baseless,” adding that it was a threat to “the independence of PTS’ future operations.”
“Nobody wanted this battle … we don’t want to [countersue], but PTS has to be able to move forward,” Cheng said.
The problems for the publicly funded TV provider began after the GIO announced in July that the agency would be appointing eight additional directors to the PTS board.
The decision was subsequently censured by the Control Yuan, which alleged that there was a major flaw in the procedure used to appoint the new directors.
In January, Cheng obtained a temporary injunction from the Taipei District Court to stop the eight new directors from convening a meeting, a move that was approved by the station’s supervisory board but drew fire from some other members.
The GIO suit against Cheng and the six other directors, in which it accused them of illegally convening meetings without the required two-thirds of directors in attendance, means that only five of the 21-member board of directors are able to carry out their positions.
“There was nothing we could do, five of the directors had vowed to boycott our meetings and yet under the Public Television Service, we were legally mandated to hold the meetings once a month,” said Yu Kan-ping (虞戡平), another director involved in the counter-suit.
Opposition lawmakers have denounced the developments, saying the feud has created the possibility of a government takeover of PTS, a proposal that has been denied by the GIO.
Taiwan might be China’s next target after it has “walled off” Hong Kong from the rest of the world with its new national security legislation, Academia Sinica Institute of Sociology fellow Wu Jieh-min (吳介民) said on Thursday. At a seminar organized by the Economic Democracy Union, the Taiwan Association for Human Rights, the Hong Kong Outlanders and the Judicial Reform Foundation, Wu said that the legislation is simultaneously a fig leaf concealing Beijing’s autocratic rule in Hong Kong and a figurative “Berlin Wall,” denying democratic countries access to Hong Kong. Wu said it is evident that Taiwan would be China’s next target. The
YOUNGEST PATIENT: Cases of botulism have been only sporadically reported over the past few years, with two in 2015, six in 2016 and none in the past three years The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the nation’s first case of infant botulism this year, a four-month-old boy in northern Taiwan, as well as five new cases of Japanese encephalitis confirmed last week. The boy was introduced to homemade solid food in the middle of last month, but began to experience constipation and loss of appetite on June 23, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Deputy Director Guo Hung-wei (郭宏偉) said, adding that he was taken to the hospital when he developed a fever and shortness of breath on June 25. In the hospital, the boy also experienced a rapid heartbeat, limb
SAFETY CONCERNS: A construction company working nearby admitted to negligence in the incident, and is to pay a fine and other expenses related to damages Residents of homes adjacent to an alleyway in New Taipei City’s Yonghe District (永和) on Saturday were forced to evacuate their homes after the road collapsed, the New Taipei City government said yesterday. An 80m by 4m area in an alleyway on Wenhua Road (文化路) collapsed at 10:39am near an apartment building construction site where work was being done on the project’s foundation. The incident also ruptured an underground gas pipe and tilted several buildings in the area. Residents would not be able to return to their homes until tomorrow or Wednesday, when repairs are expected to be finished, the city government said. Workers
CHALLENGER DEEP: Lin Ying-Tsong was invited by Caladan Oceanic founder Victor Vescovo to join him on a 10-hour long trip in the company’s submersible Taiwanese-American Lin Ying-Tsong (林穎聰) last month became the first person from Asia and the 12th in human history to dive into the deepest part on Earth, the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench. Lin, 45, an expert in deep sea acoustics with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) in Massachusetts, joined US adventurer and Caladan Oceanic founder Victor Vescovo, 54, on June 22 in a descent to the central pool of the Challenger Deep, the deepest point of the trench, which lies at a depth of more than 10,900m. The pair made the descent in a submersible named Limiting Factor, a US$37