The Council of Agriculture said that as of 5pm yesterday, the nation had sustained NT$5.06 billion (US$153 million) in agricultural losses, with 43,527 hectares of farmland damaged by flooding and strong winds.
In addition to Kaohsiung, Pingtung and Hualien counties qualifying for cash relief and low-interest loans under the Agricultural Natural Disaster Relief Regulations (農業天然災害救助辦法), the council’s Statistics Office Director Cheng Shuo-liang (鄭碩亮) said that Yunlin, Chiayi, Tainan and Taitung counties were also able to apply for aid.
Miaoli and Taichung counties and Chiayi City have also met guidelines and are eligible to apply for cash relief, he said.
PHOTO: WU CHUN-FENG, TAIPEI TIMES
Crops worth NT$2.39 billion and covering 43,527 hectares have been damaged, Cheng said.
“Banana farms have been hit the hardest, with 4,960 hectares affected, followed by papayas, guavas and leafy vegetables,” he said.
Asked if the damage caused by Typhoon Morakot would break records, Cheng said the highest agricultural damage in history was caused by 1996’s Typhoon Herb, which led to NT$18.5 billion in losses. Typhoon Haitang in 2005 caused NT$7.7 billion in losses, he added.
However, the numbers for Morakot are climbing steadily, Cheng said.
“This is not the final number, as we are still tallying … So far the damage caused by Morakot is the seventh largest in history,” he said.
Besides damage to homes, many dog kennels in southern Taiwan also suffered traumatic losses from the storm. In one kennel located beneath the Kaoping Bridge (高屏), dozens of dogs drowned in their cages, Animal Rescue Team Taiwan said, adding that those who wish to help can visit their Web site at www.savedogs.org.
To reduce possibility of disease outbreaks and pest manifestations to a minimum, the Environmental Protection Administration’s (EPA) Department of Environmental Sanitation and Toxic Substance Management Director-General Yuan Shaw-ying (袁紹英) urged people to begin cleaning up as soon as possible, starting with waste that rots easily.
“The EPA has contacted environmental protection bureaus of local governments and asked that they begin work now. People should cooperate with their local cleaning teams and clean up their homes,” Yuan said.
In related news, the Ministry of Education’s latest statistics showed that the damage caused by Morakot to schools nationwide amounted to about NT$70 million (US$2.1 million).
A total of 432 schools, the majority of which were primary and junior high schools, have been damaged, the ministry said.
Schools in Tainan County suffered the most serious damage, the ministry said.
Ministry of Education Secretary-General Pan Wen-chung (潘文忠) said the government would grant funding for reconstruction this week and hoped to complete the work before the new semester begins on Aug. 31.
About 200,000 households in northern Kaohsiung City and parts of Kaohsiung County had their water supply cut off for the next three days after the Kaoping River (高屏溪) flooded and contaminated the water supply.
The water will remain cut off in the city’s Kushan, Zuoying and Nanzih districts and townships in the county such as Gangshan (岡山), Yanchao (燕巢), Lujhu (路竹), Hunei (湖內), Ciaotou (橋頭), Yong’an (永安), A-lian (阿蓮) and Renwu (仁武) until midnight tomorrow.
Meanwhile, the Tourism Bureau estimated that damage to scenic areas would top approximately NT$570 million. The Maolin National Scenic Area and its tourist center in Liukuei (六龜), Kaohsiung, was completely destroyed by a flood.
The Hongyeh (紅葉) Hot Spring Zone has been buried in a mudflow.
The bureau also estimated that the damage to hotels in Nantou, Chiayi, Tainan, Kaohsiung, Pingtung and Taitung had reached NT$137 million.
Meanwhile, 16 Chinese tourists were reported to be trapped in Alishan (阿里山) and 81 tourists were stranded on Green Island and Liouciou Island as they waited for boat services to resume.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY SHELLEY SHAN AND FLORA WANG
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: