The Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) has once again embarrassed itself with poor English translations, this time at Shalu (沙鹿) Station in Taichung County.
The translations were criticized by passengers and the under-fire station quickly withdrew them on Tuesday.
TRA managing director Fan Chih-ku (范植谷) said his staff were not English experts so the poor translations were not immediately obvious to them.
He said the TRA may add English or Japanese proficiency to its recruitment tests.
One of the mistranslations rendered Providence University (靜宜大學) as “Quiet Proper University,” a direct translation of the school’s Chinese name.
The station also mistranslated Kuang Tien General Hospital (光田醫院) as “the light farmland hospital.”
The Chinese word “kuang” means “light” and “tien” means “farmland.”
TRA’s translation and the correct translation
• 梧棲: Wu to stay — Wuchi
• 靜宜大學: Quiet proper University — Providence University
• 弘光大學: Hong only section — Hung Kuang University
• 光田醫院: The light farmland hospital — Kuang Tien General Hospital
• 童綜合醫院: Kid General Hospital — Tungs’ Taichung MetroHarbor Hospital
• 巨業客運: Huge Industry passenger transportation — G-Bus
SOURCE: TAIPEI TIMES