Former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) yesterday refused to testify against his co-defendant Chen Chen-hui (陳鎮慧), his former bookkeeper, who is accused of helping the former president embezzle money.
Chen Shui-bian said his court-appointed attorneys told him he could refuse to testify in Chen Chen-hui’s trial because he harbored mixed feelings toward his former bookkeeper.
However, Presiding Judge Tsai Shou-hsun (蔡守訓) of the Taipei District Court told the former president that while he could refuse to answer certain questions, he could not refuse to testify entirely.
After Tsai ordered a recess in which Chen Shui-bian conferred with his attorneys, the former president told the court he would be willing to testify out of respect for the court.
Meanwhile, former premier Chang Chun-hsiung (張俊雄) yesterday testified that he “should have” received a monetary performance reward from Chen Shui-bian.
Tsai had scheduled yesterday’s hearing to question Chang on whether he received NT$2 million (US$60,700) from the former president.
The purpose of the hearing was to determine the authenticity of some of the expense reports related to the presidential “state affairs fund,” a government fund earmarked for official purposes to be used at the president’s discretion.
Prosecutors previously argued that Chang and former vice premier Yeh Chu-lan (葉菊蘭) had not received money they had been promised by Chen Shui-bian, implying that the former president lied about rewarding government officials with bonuses when in fact he took the cash reimbursements from the government fund for his personal use.
The former president is charged with embezzling NT$104.15 million in government funds.
In witness statements Chang made to Special Investigation Panel (SIP) prosecutors, the former premier said he could not recall whether Chen Shui-bian had given him a NT$2 million reward.
However, after a few days, Chang said in a written statement to the SIP that he had indeed received monetary rewards from the former president.
In court yesterday, prosecutors probed Chang about the discrepancy.
He answered that because his memory was poor, he could not recall the reward when questioned by prosecutors. However, after he gave the matter more thought, Chang said, he remembered that he “should have” received money from Chen Shui-bian because he performed very well during his two terms as premier.
However, Chang said he could not provide further details, such as when and where he should have received the money, citing poor memory.
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,