Taiwanese journalists were once again denied press accreditation by the UN Department of Public Information (DPI) to cover the World Health Assembly (WHA), as the UN does not recognize passports issued by the Taiwanese government, which is not a member of the UN.
It marked the fourth consecutive year the UN had banned Taiwanese reporters from covering the annual WHA meeting in Geneva, which starts tomorrow, by refusing to issue press accreditations to journalists holding Taiwanese passports.
"It's not possible for us to give you media accreditations because you have a Taiwan passport," Ponoma Reva, Information Service Chief of the WHO, told the Taipei Times by telephone on Tuesday night when asked about the status of its correspondent's application.
Repeating that the procedures and requirements to apply for WHA press accreditations had never changed, Reva said Taiwanese passports are simply "not acceptable" to the WHO and DPI when applying for the granting of press accreditation.
Asked whether Taiwanese journalists could file a complaint with the health organization regarding the situation, Reva said there was no room for argument for Taiwanese journalists, while reiterating they could obtain accreditation by using passports from other countries.
"But you know what? You can read all speeches and debates of the WHA on the Web site of the WHO," she added.
The UN requires applicants to present a valid ID which must include "a current passport from a State recognized by the UN General Assembly" in order to obtain press accreditation.
The Association of Taiwanese Journalists sent a letter to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and WHO Director-General Margaret Chan (陳馮富珍) to condemn the organization for ignoring press freedom for political reasons.
"Journalists are independent individuals and should not be seen as representatives of their country of origin," president of the association Chen Hsiao-yi (
"It is important for Taiwanese journalists to enjoy the freedom to cover all major events including the WHA," the letter said.
Besides garnering signatures from Taiwan's 31 media organizations, the association also launched a campaign calling on all citizens to write letters to Ban and Chen to defend their own right to "know the truth."
The campaign will run through Sept. 18, when an annual meeting of the UN General Assembly will open.
Reporters without Borders and the International Press Institute (IPI) also extended their support to Taiwanese reporters.
IPI secretary-general Robert Menard wrote a letter to Chan earlier this month, urging the WHO not to bow to Beijing's pressure and sacrifice the rights of Taiwanese journalists.
Hedayat Abdel Nabi, president of Press Emblem Campaign, founded in 2002 in Geneva and which represents 5,500 journalists around the world, yesterday called on the UN to recognize Taiwanese journalists holding press cards of the International Federation of Journalists (IFJ).
"The UN should allow Taiwanese journalists holding IFJ press card, instead of on the basis of nationality," she said yesterday during a meeting with Taiwanese and foreign press in Geneva.
DeJean Paul, an UN-based reporter from a German newspaper, said passports should not be the reason for the issue of press accreditation.
"The UN condemned any violations of human rights, but it is violating human rights by denying Taiwanese journalists press cards," he said.
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
A Belgian man who tested positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan last week is likely to have contracted the disease in Taipei in late June, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Saturday reported that the man, who is in his 20s, came to Taiwan for work on May 3 and tested positive on Wednesday last week as he was about to depart. The man in March reported loss of taste and smell, the center said, adding that he worked in Changhua County, but visited Taipei several times,