The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) yesterday called on the head of the nation's media watchdog agency to step down, saying he had neglected to perform his duties.
DPP Chairman Yu Shyi-kun urged National Communications Commission (NCC) Chairman Su Yeong-ching (
Showing a press conference copies of what he described as official documents, Yu said the Cabinet had issued an administrative order in August 2004, to compel the BCC -- which was owned by the KMT at the time -- to relinquish control of the frequencies on which Formosa Network and the music station "i radio" were broadcast.
However, the commission negotiated a compromise with the corporation in December, after the BCC filed a lawsuit contesting the government's move, Yu said. He said the Cabinet was kept completely in the dark about the deal.
"Su should resign because he neglected his duty," Yu said. "If he does not step down, I will urge the party caucus and the Cabinet to freeze the commission's budget."
DPP Secretary-General Lin Chia-lung (林佳龍) said he suspected the NCC was trying to prevent the government from recovering the BCC's frequencies, because Su is close to Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Chairman Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九).
He urged Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) to establish a team to investigate the deal between the NCC and BCC, saying it was a violation of the law.
Meanwhile, NCC spokesman Howard Shyr (
Shyr said the BCC applied to renew its license in 2005.
In its review of the application, the GIO listed several reasons why it decided to suspend BCC's application.
The GIO criticized the company for failing to broadcast radio commercials "in a balanced fashion" during the presidential election in 2004.
The GIO ordered the BCC to not to sell any of its properties, as the company was involved in lawsuit with the government.
BCC later brought this matter to the Appeals Review Committee, which rejected its appeal.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday found four men guilty of attempted murder in the 2017 stabbing of Spanish surfer Ignacio Prio on a Pingtung County beach in the final ruling in the case, sentencing them to three-and-a-half to six years in prison. The defendants had appealed their convictions for attempted murder in the first and second rulings, which had also led to prison sentences ranging from three-and-a-half years to six years. The then-42-year-old Prio went to Jialeshui Beach (佳樂水) near Kenting (墾丁) on March 31, 2017, was attacked after he asked four men to remove their fishing lines from an area
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
ANOTHER IMPORT: A Filipina who arrived on Friday to visit family developed a fever on Saturday and test results yesterday were positive, making her Taiwan’s 465th case The government’s real-name mask purchasing system is to be continued until at least the end of the year, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported a new imported COVID-19 case from the Philippines. The center would continue to requisition mask production to ensure people can buy masks using the real-name system until the end of December, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥), the CECC’s spokesman. While the CECC requisitions about 8 million masks per day to ensure there are enough for the real-name system, more than 10 million masks are produced per day