Tue, Feb 06, 2007 - Page 2 News List

Government still pursuing Rebar fugitive: Huang

STAFF WRITER , WITH CNA

Minister of Foreign Affairs James Huang (黃志芳) said yesterday that the government will continue to work on a contingency plan to get fugitive tycoon Wang You-theng (王又曾) back to Taiwan to face justice for a series of scandals surrounding his business group.

Wang, founder of the Rebar Asia Pacific Group, was taken into custody by the US authorities upon arrival in Los Angeles on Saturday because his Republic of China and Dominican Republic passports had been canceled.

Noting that a US court hearing is expected to be held on Wang's case this week, Huang said it was inappropriate for the government to comment on the issue now that the case is before the court.

"Taiwan will respect the handling of the case by the US judicial authorities and will continue to keep tabs on developments and try to work out contingency plans," he said.

Wang fled to China in late December shortly before the Rebar scandal broke. He later fled to the US. Taiwan put him on its most-wanted list in the middle of last month.

He tried to fly to Myanmar via Singapore last Wednesday but was sent back to the US last Friday by Singaporean authorities as he lacked the proper travel documents.

On reports that the government has spent lavishly on hiring top-notch lawyers to fight the elite legal team expected to be hired by the fugitive, Foreign Ministry spokesman David Wang (王建業) said the government had hired legal advisers and was seeking their views.

He said that whether Wang You-theng would eventually be able to enter the US is an issue for the US to decide and that the government has no need to hire lawyers on that issue.

Comments will be moderated. Keep comments relevant to the article. Remarks containing abusive and obscene language, personal attacks of any kind or promotion will be removed and the user banned. Final decision will be at the discretion of the Taipei Times.

TOP top