Law enforcement authorities yesterday defended their handling of a financial scandal after being called to account in the legislature.
Officials from the National Security Bureau (NSB) yesterday said that they did not know the whereabouts of fugitive Rebar Group founder Wang You-theng (
NSB Deputy Director Yang Kuo-chiang (楊國強) told the legislature's Organic Laws and Statutes Committee yesterday morning that his bureau was unaware of the whereabouts of Wang, chairman of Rebar Asia Pacific Group (力霸亞太企業集團), because it was not its job to keep track of white-collar criminals.
Deputy Director of MJIB Wu Ying (
The Financial Supervisory Commission informed them on Nov. 15 and Nov. 23 last year of two more companies belonging to the group that they suspected of infringements.
As the operations of the Rebar Group were quite complicated, Wu said that his organization had needed more time to obtain a better understanding of the matter.
They could not prohibit Wang from leaving the country even if they had known his intention because they did not have any reason to do so. Apart from Wang, Wu said that the bureau had banned 48 people believed to be involved in the Rebar scandal from leaving the country since Jan. 6.
Visibly unhappy with the Investigation Bureau's handling of the matter, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Lai Shyh-bao (賴士葆) called Wu "incompetent," and said that the media could have done a better job of locating Wang.
"While you know nothing about where Wang is, you manage to keep good track of political leaders' activities," Lai said.
Lai questioned the NSB over its alleged recruitment of legislative assistants and reporters to collect intelligence for them and the tapping of politicians' phones. Yang, however, dismissed Lai's allegations, saying that the bureau had maintained administrative neutrality since it was institutionalized in 1994.
"I hereby solemnly swear that we don't do such things," he said. "If we did, the bureau chief and those involved would step down to shoulder responsibility."
Yang said that they conduct surveillance only on certain people and they do it in accordance with the law.
In other words, they must obtain the approval of the Supreme Court Prosecutor General's Office before engaging in such activity, he said.
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying:
BILINGUAL ASSISTANCE: The center launched a chat bot that features Chinese and English interfaces to provide foreigners with instant information about the pandemic The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said that it would discuss with other nations the possibility of allowing businesspeople to visit on a case-by-case basis. Asked about loosening border restrictions, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said at the daily CECC news briefing that while the center is cautious about opening the nation’s borders, it would aim to diminish obstacles for important trade interactions without risking transmission of the novel coronavirus. Several foreign representatives in Taiwan have expressed an interest in the matter and the center would conduct related negotiations with the help of the