The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) has completed the first of three challenging tasks in an attempt to recall Keelung Mayor Hsu Tsai-li (
The KMT Keelung chapter has collected a total of 6,803 signatures since launching its campaign to oust Hsu nearly two weeks ago, local chapter chief Chiang Shih-liang (
The Public Officials Election and Recall Law (
PHOTO: WANG YI-SUNG, TAIPEI TIMES
In the second phase, another 38,003 signatures are required for the Central Election Commission (CEC) to hold a vote.
After the KMT submits the proposal to the commission, it will have 60 days to solicit the required number of signatures to support the proposal.
The final phase requires the participation of half of the 292,330 eligible voters in the 2005 Keelung mayoral elections -- or 146,165 people -- in a vote. If the majority vote in favor of ousting the mayor, Hsu will be recalled.
"It is awkward [for the KMT to recall Hsu] because Hsu used to be our favorite candidate for Keelung mayor and we have helped him win the election," said Chiang. "But, bottom line, it is KMT policy to ask members to assume responsibility if they make mistakes."
Chiang made the remarks during a press conference at the KMT headquarters yesterday morning.
"We will continue the campaign to recall Hsu because it is a reflection of the fact that the KMT is a political party that dares to admit its mistakes," said Chang Wang-hao (
Chang admitted that it would be difficult to eventually recall Hsu because of the legal requirements needed to make it happen.
"We will continue the process anyway to prove to the public that the KMT is serious when it comes to dealing with corruption issues like this," Chang said.
Hsu was indicted on corruption charges on May 18 last year. Keelung prosecutors recommended an eight-year sentence in prison for the mayor. His case is currently on appeal.
Hsu was re-elected on the KMT's ticket in November 2005. He was kicked out of the party after receiving a seven-year prison term on Sept. 19 for trying to use his position to sell land to the city government.
The KMT has been criticized for nominating Hsu in 2005 when he was being investigated by prosecutors on corruption charges. The party has argued that as Hsu was protected by law from being recalled within the first year of his term, it decided to wait until the second year of his term, which began on Dec. 25 last year, to push for his removal.
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
A Belgian man who tested positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan last week is likely to have contracted the disease in Taipei in late June, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Saturday reported that the man, who is in his 20s, came to Taiwan for work on May 3 and tested positive on Wednesday last week as he was about to depart. The man in March reported loss of taste and smell, the center said, adding that he worked in Changhua County, but visited Taipei several times,