A group of Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislative aides yesterday said they would stage a signature campaign starting today in a bid to recall Keelung Mayor Hsu Tsai-li (許財利), who was recently convicted of corruption.
Hsu was found guilty by the Keelung District Court of abusing his position to sell a plot of land to the Keelung City Government's bus department. He was sentenced on Sept. 19 to seven years in prison and deprived of civil rights for eight years.
His KMT membership was canceled after the conviction. KMT Chairman Ma Ying-jeou (
Chiao Chun (焦鈞), the director of KMT Legislator Pai Tien-chih's (白添枝) office, told a press conference yesterday that the group thought KMT headquarters had been slow taking action on Hsu's case.
The group therefore decided to initiate a signature campaign this morning in front of Keelung's train station, which aims to gather the 5,847 signatures needed to pass the threshold -- 2 percent of the city's voters -- required to propose a recall motion to the Central Election Commission based on the Election and Recall Law (
"Keelung citizens have the right to make a decision on whether to choose Hsu [as the mayor] again," said Chang Shi-gang (
He added that the KMT should speed up the pace of its reform so as to "leave a better impression on the pubic and the media."
Asked about his reaction to the group's proposal, Ma said he had urged the party's Keelung branch to prepare a recall motion against Hsu.
He denied Chiao's allegation that KMT headquarters had not actively dealt with Hsu's case, adding that the party was not late in preparing a recall motion as Hsu had just completed his first-year term this Wednesday.
According to the Election and Recall Law, government chiefs cannot be recalled until they have served their first year in office.
The Young Turks, however, said they had reached a resolution before holding the press conference that they would cut communications with party headquarters for the time being.
They are also initiating an online signature campaign at the same time to garner another 38,003 signatures, or 13 percent of the city's voters, as required for a recall vote to be upheld by law.
Taiwan might be China’s next target after it has “walled off” Hong Kong from the rest of the world with its new national security legislation, Academia Sinica Institute of Sociology fellow Wu Jieh-min (吳介民) said on Thursday. At a seminar organized by the Economic Democracy Union, the Taiwan Association for Human Rights, the Hong Kong Outlanders and the Judicial Reform Foundation, Wu said that the legislation is simultaneously a fig leaf concealing Beijing’s autocratic rule in Hong Kong and a figurative “Berlin Wall,” denying democratic countries access to Hong Kong. Wu said it is evident that Taiwan would be China’s next target. The
YOUNGEST PATIENT: Cases of botulism have been only sporadically reported over the past few years, with two in 2015, six in 2016 and none in the past three years The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the nation’s first case of infant botulism this year, a four-month-old boy in northern Taiwan, as well as five new cases of Japanese encephalitis confirmed last week. The boy was introduced to homemade solid food in the middle of last month, but began to experience constipation and loss of appetite on June 23, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Deputy Director Guo Hung-wei (郭宏偉) said, adding that he was taken to the hospital when he developed a fever and shortness of breath on June 25. In the hospital, the boy also experienced a rapid heartbeat, limb
SAFETY CONCERNS: A construction company working nearby admitted to negligence in the incident, and is to pay a fine and other expenses related to damages Residents of homes adjacent to an alleyway in New Taipei City’s Yonghe District (永和) on Saturday were forced to evacuate their homes after the road collapsed, the New Taipei City government said yesterday. An 80m by 4m area in an alleyway on Wenhua Road (文化路) collapsed at 10:39am near an apartment building construction site where work was being done on the project’s foundation. The incident also ruptured an underground gas pipe and tilted several buildings in the area. Residents would not be able to return to their homes until tomorrow or Wednesday, when repairs are expected to be finished, the city government said. Workers
CHALLENGER DEEP: Lin Ying-Tsong was invited by Caladan Oceanic founder Victor Vescovo to join him on a 10-hour long trip in the company’s submersible Taiwanese-American Lin Ying-Tsong (林穎聰) last month became the first person from Asia and the 12th in human history to dive into the deepest part on Earth, the Challenger Deep in the Mariana Trench. Lin, 45, an expert in deep sea acoustics with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) in Massachusetts, joined US adventurer and Caladan Oceanic founder Victor Vescovo, 54, on June 22 in a descent to the central pool of the Challenger Deep, the deepest point of the trench, which lies at a depth of more than 10,900m. The pair made the descent in a submersible named Limiting Factor, a US$37