Sat, Oct 14, 2006 - Page 3 News List

Pan-blues told to end recall bids

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH The Presidential Office said the public wanted stability and that it was time to concentrate on other matters of national interest

By Shih Hsiu-chuan  /  STAFF REPORTER

People First Party (PFP) Chairman James Soong, center, and two PFP legislators yesterday make the thumbs-down gesture after Soong announced that his party would propose a vote of no-confidence in Premier Su Tseng-chang next Friday in order to break fresh ground for the opposition against President Chen Shui-bian.

PHOTO: LO PEI-DER, TAIPEI TIMES

The Presidential Office yesterday urged the pan-blue camp not to propose another recall motion or a motion to topple the Cabinet, which it said would intensify confrontation in the country.

The Presidential Office issued the call after the failure of the second recall motion against President Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) yesterday.

"The presidential recall motion has been vetoed twice within four months in the legislature. The parties who sponsored the motions are expected to respect the result of the vote and realize that the public wants stability for the nation and society," the statement said.

The Presidential Office urged the legislature to consider national interests and review bills and budgets of concern to the livelihoods of the people.

"The political disturbances which have lasted for more than a month have had an adverse effect on people's everyday lives and their safety, but it is admirable that most Taiwanese retain their faith in freedom, democracy, law and order," the statement said.

"We especially need to express our thanks to all military guards and civilian police," it added.

cherish

The Presidential Office said it wanted everyone to cherish the country's hard-earned democratic achievements and try to resolve disagreement through law and procedure outlined in the Constitution "so that we can restore order and tranquility to society."

Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) said during the legislature's question-and-answer session yesterday that "it's time to end the presidential recall drive" after the recall motion had been vetoed in the legislature twice within four months.

Regarding the opposition's proposed move to propose a no-confidence vote against him, Su said he had no opinion about the legislature's operation.

"It's the legislature's Constitutional right stipulated to bring up such a motion. I respected that and the public will have their own views on the motion," he said.

Minister Without Portfolio Lin Si-yao (林錫耀), in a separate setting yesterday, said that the second proposal to recall Chen had failed to solve any problems and had only created more chaos instead.

"As everybody can see, the proposal created more antagonism between people. The pan-blue camp is now considering making a third proposal on the same issue in the near future. Is this wise? I don't think it will be difficult for the public to figure it out," Lin said.

wasting time

Lin said the legislature has wasted too much time on the recall issue and prolonged delays in pending proposed bills.

"The annual budget for the Cabinet, for instance. The government needs the money to carry out projects. But the money is currently frozen. We do not understand lawmakers' logic in handling things," he said.

Additional reporting by Jimmy Chuang

This story has been viewed 2273 times.
TOP top