Women's rights groups and legislators wrangled with Ministry of Interior (MOI) officials yesterday over whether a new hotline service targeting economically disadvantaged callers should be integrated with an existing hotline for victims of domestic and sexual abuse.
The ministry had planned to establish a 995 hotline to dispense financial advice to callers, such as how to avoid or reduce debt, and to address other severe but common economic difficulties.
However, due to a number of difficulties encounted in the planning stage, the ministry recently announced that it will merge the proposed 995 hotline with the already operational 113 hotline, which helps callers with questions on domestic and sexual abuse.
The merger would place all of the services originally associated with the proposed 995 hotline under the 113 line, which women's rights advocates say will detract from the latter's effectiveness in helping abuse victims.
Kao Hsiao-fan (
"The two hotlines' services are not compatible," DPP Legislator Hsiao Bi-khim (
Chang Chin-li (
Deputy Interior Minister Lin Chung-sen (
"Folks enduring severe economic hardships can't wait -- we want to get the hotline up and running before someone does something extreme, like take their own life," Lin said.
He added that the new hotline would merely be a "service window" under 113 to which calls regarding economic hardship could be forwarded.
Lin said that technical and budgetary problems had resulted in the plan to link up the proposed hotline with the already operational 113 hotline.
KMT Legislator Joanna Lei (雷倩) said she thought the ministry's intentions were good, but found it hard to believe that with the technology available in Taiwan, the ministry couldn't set up a separate hotline.
The ministry's failure to set up an independent telephone line for the new service reflected how ineffective and unwieldy the nation's bureaucracy was, she added.
"It's taken quite some time to get 113 off the ground and advertise the hotline among victims of domestic and sexual abuse," said He Bi-chen (
Combining two hotlines offering two totally different sets of services would only confuse callers, and make it harder for them to know what services are available on which hotlines, He said.
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
A Belgian man who tested positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan last week is likely to have contracted the disease in Taipei in late June, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Saturday reported that the man, who is in his 20s, came to Taiwan for work on May 3 and tested positive on Wednesday last week as he was about to depart. The man in March reported loss of taste and smell, the center said, adding that he worked in Changhua County, but visited Taipei several times,