A legislator yesterday called for more effective management of motorcycle express-delivery services, saying that consumers' rights are often violated because there are no laws specifically regulating the business.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Huang Wei-cher (
Huang said that motorcycle services are primarily used to deliver documents.
Many businesses decide their own delivery charges, often sparking conflicts with consumers due to unregulated and arbitrary prices, Huang added.
Huang played a recording of a telephone conversation between a consumer and the head of a motorcycle delivery service at the conference.
In the recording, the head of the service said that the business was registered as a "personnel dispatch business" and was therefore legal. He also said that the office was not responsible for the customer's lost documents since it was the delivery personnel that lost them.
Lan Tsung-chin (藍聰金), a section chief at the Department of Commerce under the Ministry of Economic Affairs, said that registered personnel dispatch bus-inesses provide cleaning or security personnel, and should not encompass delivery services.
However, the department deals only with business registrations, Lan said. These services are run are under the management of the Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MOTC) and their laws, he added.
Wang Chi-chou (
Wang said that any motorcycle delivery businesses discovered by the ministry will be closed down and fined NT$50,000 (US$1,562) to NT$150,000.
Pizza or lunch box deliveries do not count as "delivery bus-inesses" since they are delivering their own products, Wang said.
Wang said that the ministry will discuss the feasibility of allowing motorcycle delivery services in the future.
A representative from Chung-hwa Post said that according to the Postal Law (
Other companies are only allowed to deliver packages or products, but not letters, he said.
Huang said that motorcycle delivery services are also in violation of the Postal Law because they overlap with Chunghwa Post services.
Liu Ching-fang (
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: