China Steel Corp (
Lin made the announcement amid recent heated debate surrounding his annual stock bonus from China Steel Corp, worth about NT$44 million (US$1.31 million). A large group of pan-green legislators had demanded that Lin, as a government representative in the company, give up the bonus and return it to the national coffers.
At a press conference last night, Lin reiterated that the work he had done for the firm was evident and that the bonus reflected the company's improved performance.
Saying he would not stay in the position under any circumstances,Lin added that he would give the entire bonus to charity.
Meanwhile, the Presidential Office yesterday disputed a media report that quoted President Chen Shui-bian (
"Lin is actually not a greedy person. He has financed many [DPP] politicians by helping them raise campaign funds and donations ... to the party [DPP]," Chen was quoted as saying in the report by the Chinese-language newspaper the China Times yesterday.
The report said Chen made the remarks at a meeting prior to a dinner party on Thursday night with DPP administration officials and DPP lawmakers.
Denying the report, the Presidential Office's Department of Public Affairs yesterday said "the quote quoted in the newspaper actually was not made by Chen but another attendee."
The Presidential Office said that what the president had actually said -- following remarks made by other people attending the meeting -- was that it was impossible for Lin to finance fellow DPP members with the bonus because he knew that Lin hadn't received a cash bonus from China Steel and that Lin hadn't sold the stock bonus.
DPP caucus whip Jao Yung-ching (
At the press conference last night, Lin said it was impossible for him to finance others with the China Steel bonus because he hadn't received cash and had not sold the stocks. Lin also vented his dissatisfaction with the media for making "fabricated reports."
Cheng Wen-tsan (鄭文燦), director of the DPP's Department of Culture and Information, yesterday also responded to the China Times report.
There is no donation from the China Steel Corp or in the name of Lin personally, Cheng said, adding that "the DPP receives donations in accordance with the Political Contribution Act (
Additional reporting by Jean Lin
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: