Fighting allegations that he neglected his public duties and had an affair with his secretary, Ho Hung-jung (
Wang accused Ho on Tuesday of being absent from work earlier this month when Typhoon Khanun threatened the nation -- a time at which Ho would normally have been manning the city's disaster command center -- because he was on vacation with his secretary in Bali. The charges drew a firestorm of media attention and rocked the city government.
Accompanied by his wife and staff members, Ho announced his resignation yesterday morning, while stressing that he was only doing so in order to protect his family and the city government's reputations.
PHOTO: WANG MIN-WEI, TAIPEI TIMES
"I did nothing wrong," Ho said at a press conference yesterday. "But Wang's accusations have already hurt my family and affected the city government's reputation, so I decided to turn in my resignation."
Ho acknowledged that he did go to Bali with his secretary, surnamed Chang, but Ho denied that he and Chang stayed in the same room. He also said that his staff applied for leave for him.
Ho's wife Lin Wen-shu (
"I trust my husband 100 percent. How can you ask him to prove something he never did? If people can just accuse anyone without proof, then there is no justice in society," she said.
The bureau's human resources department chief, Feng Ai-weng (馮艾雯), also defended Ho, saying that Ho followed standard procedure in asking for leave.
Ho filed a lawsuit against Wang for slandering him in the Taipei District Court in the afternoon. Wang filed a countersuit, saying that Ho had brought a false charge against him. The two encountered each other at the court at the same time, and Ho's wife angrily told Wang not to hurt her family with groundless accusations.
But Wang was unmoved.
"Apparently Ho is clueless about the mistakes he has made," Wang said. "Instead of eating crow and re-examining himself, he blames the disclosure of the matter on me." Wang said that he is not interested in, nor is he responsible for, Ho's personal life. His criticism against Ho is purely related to his performance in the public sphere, he said.
Wang said that he learned of the matter about 10 days ago but did not release the information until Tuesday. He never mentioned the name of Ho's secretary, but only questioned why Ho conducted a "business" trip with his secretary to a resort island at a time when he should have been overseeing the city's response to Typhoon Khanun.
Although Ho said he would resign from his post immediately after the rumor came out, the controversial issue spread to the Taipei City Council, with both pan-blue and pan-green city councilors questioning Taipei Mayor Ma Ying-jeou (
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) councilor Hsu Chia-ching (
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) councilor Chin Li-fang (秦儷舫) asked Ma to pay more attention to internal problems in the city government.
"The city government lost an experienced talent because of this scandal. I think Mayor Ma should find out whether some kind of internal conflict in the city government is behind the accusation," she said.
Ma reiterated his support for Ho, insisting that Ho followed procedure when applying for leave.
"As to things in the private realm, I will leave him to solve those issues himself and respect his decision," Ma added.
Ho's resignation went into effect immediately yesterday. Deputy chief Chong Ze-liang (鍾則良) will take over as the acting chief of the bureau.
Additional reporting by Ko Shu-ling
DISTRUST WARRANTED? The WHO is under China’s control and has become a useless organization, while data from China cannot be trusted, a Control Yuan member said China’s demand that the novel coronavirus that emerged in Wuhan, Hubei Province, not be referred to with names like the “Wuhan pneumonia” betrays its lack of confidence in itself, Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) told lawmakers yesterday. Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Tsai Yi-yu (蔡易餘) asked Su, during a interpellation at the Legislative Yuan in Taipei, for his view on China’s attempts to redeem its national image in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. These included China’s efforts to “bleach” its image, including having WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus publicly praise its handling of the COVID-19 outbreak, and thanking it for buying time
TOO TIRED: Investigators found that the pilot’s lack of alertness could be attributed to a lack of sleep the previous night, when he had slept with his child It was a copilot’s inappropriate operation of the aircraft and the pilot’s insufficient alertness that led to a hard landing of a China Airlines cargo flight on Dec. 13, 2018, the Taiwan Transportation Safety Board said yesterday. Flight CI6844, a Boeing 747-409 which departed from Hong Kong International Airport, landed on the pre-threshold area of runway L5 at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, about 21m before the head of the runway, an investigation report said. The hard landing damaged three runway lights, but none of the personnel on board sustained any injuries, the report said. When approaching the runway, the copilot failed to maintain
Taipei residents who stay at hotels in the city during their 14-day mandatory quarantine period are eligible to apply for the city’s NT$7,000 subsidy, with online applications to be launched next week. Taipei Deputy Mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊) on Monday said Taipei residents who have COVID-19 Health Declaration and Home Quarantine Notice dated after March 19 and a quarantine hotel receipt for the dates covered by the quarantine period, would be eligible for the subsidy. The Taipei City Government on Sunday told the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) that so many city residents are under home quarantine that about 90 percent of
REPEAT OFFENDER: The man went outside for exercise on Wednesday and then left his home on Saturday with his girlfriend, officials said A New Taipei City man has been fined NT$400,000 (US$13,221) and ordered into government quarantine after breaking home quarantine for a second time on Saturday. The 25-year-old man, surnamed Chen (陳) returned to Taiwan on Sunday last week and was ordered to home quarantine until Sunday. He was seen leaving his home on a scooter with his girlfriend on Saturday, three days after he was fined NT$200,000 for going outside to exercise, police said. Chen has now been placed in a quarantine center arranged by the district office and health center of the district where he lives, police said. Police warned the public