The Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) announced yesterday that it will hold a background briefing tomorrow afternoon, signaling that the opening up of Taiwan to Chinese tourists has made some progress.
The official briefing will be presided over by Fu Don-cheng (傅棟成), director of the MAC's economic affairs department.
Premier Frank Hsieh (謝長廷) also expressed the government's position on the issue yesterday, saying that "we hope Chinese tourists can come to Taiwan as soon as possible ... We will provide a safe and comfortable environment for them."
After announcing Thursday it officially commissioned the Travel Agent Association of Republic of China, Taiwan to negotiate with Chinese tourism officials, the MAC remained low-key about the progress of the negotiations yesterday.
MAC vice chairman You Ying-lung (游盈隆) said at the council's weekly press conference that "only if the Chinese government responds positively to the government offer can Taiwan move to the next step of negotiations."
Unlike the council, the Ministry of Transportation and Communications (MOTC), has been optimistic about the cross-strait negotiation on this issue of Chinese tourists.
According to Chinese-language newspapers yesterday, MOTC Minister Lin Ling-san (林陵三) said that negotiations on the particulars of Chinese tourism will be dealt with soon.
"The method by which direct lunar New Year charter flights were negotiated is a reference for the tourist negotiations," Chinese-language newspapers quoted Lin as saying. Hsu Wen-sheng (許文聖), director-general of the MOTC's Tourism Bureau, will also attend the negotiations as an adviser of the officially authorized agency, it was also reported yesterday.
You said that the government would stick to the policy of allowing up to 1,000 Chinese tourists per day to travel to Taiwan for a maximum of 10 days, also requiring that group tours entering the country must leave as a group.
In addition, Roget Hsu (許高慶), the secretary-general of the Travel Agent Association of the Republic of China, Taiwan said that other items on the agenda include whether to impose a security deposit on cross-strait travel agencies.
"The deposit would help lessen the possibility of illegal Chinese immigrants coming in under the guise of tourism," Hsu said.
In related news, China Sunrise Travel Service's general manager Feng Cho-chih (馮卓志) told the Central News Agency the travel agency has been in contact with the Chinese government, and that a government-authorized agency was an appropriate body with which to negotiate.
"Travel Agent Association of Republic of China, Taiwan is a very good agency, has frequent exchanges with us," Feng said.
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: