Military authorities on Kinmen reported yesterday that a mountain area where more than 9,000 unused shells and bombs were stored stabilized after an explosion a day earlier.
The military authorities said no sound of the explosion or smoke were detected at Chaitzu Mountain yesterday morning. The authorities added that they have continued to cordon off the area for safety reasons.
Officials from UXB International Inc, a US company in charge of the bomb disposal, said they observed traces of smoke coming out of the shaft at 5am yesterday. They said all the smoke dissipated by 10am and don't think there will be any more explosions. The UXB officials said they would continue following standard operation guidelines, which state that shafts can only be entered 24 hours after the last signs of smoke have disappeared. They said technical personnel will not enter the shafts until tomorrow, or two days after the last traces of smoke have dissipated.
Although there were no casualties in the incident, the village of Shanhsi located about 1,000 meters away from the explosion site was shrouded in heavy smoke on Thursday, and many villagers said they had difficulty breathing and irritated eyes.
Chou Chun-chiao (周軍橋), director of the Political Warfare Department of the Kinmen Garrison Command, accompanied UXB manager Lee Ta-yung (李大勇) yesterday to call on the Chinsha township head to discuss how to deal with the aftermath of the incident.
Lee said the company was "very sorry" about the incident, and he would call on each household in Shanhsi to apologize and to arrange health checkups if necessary.
The villagers, who were quickly evacuated after the explosions, returned to their homes late Thursday. Though life returned to normal by Friday, they said the military should review the issue of disused bombs following the incident, noting that when the military stored the bombs in the nearby mountain area, they had assumed it would pose no danger to residents.
The incident took place at around 2:15pm Thursday, with residents reporting seeing white smoke belching out of the mountain and later heard a series of loud explosions.
A group of technical UXB personnel at the disposal site were unharmed. They were about 300 meters from the shaft when the explosions occurred. The explosions continued until around 5:40pm.
The Kinmen Garrison Command said it has collected over 1,000 tons of bombs and used cement to seal them up before storing them in several places in the mountain in 1996.
The military waited until 2002 to commission UXB International to handle the bombs, and they were scheduled to have them all disposed by July 2005.
UXB officials said the company has so far treated 30,000 shells, and had not entered storage shafts for six days prior to the incident.
The shaft currently stores 9,294 unused bombs, mostly yellow phosphorous projectiles used for lighting. Initial investigations showed that the mothballed yellow phosphorous bombs, which have combustion point of around 44?C, may have caught fire due to the hot weather.
Taipei City Councilor Wang Hao (王浩) of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) on Monday called for security improvements to the MRT, as fare evasion has increased more than 13-fold on the metropolitan railway system over the past five years. Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) has spoken out against fare evasion and other contraventions of MRT regulations, but since he took office in 2015 the number of contraventions has more than doubled, Wang said, adding that there were 537 cases in 2015 compared with 959 last year. A video was posted to YouTube in June showing people how to evade paying a fare,
FEELING MISUNDERSTOOD: Media speculation has fueled confusion about the KMT’s reasons for skipping a Chinese forum and delaying an AIT meeting, party sources said The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) on Sunday said that it is not seeking to improve relations with the US or China at the expense of the other, and that its relations with the countries would be topic-based. The party has faced questions over its foreign policy after it on Monday last week announced its withdrawal from the annual Straits Forum and delayed planned talks with the American Institute in Taiwan (AIT). The party has also taken a tough stance on the importation of US meat containing ractopamine, while also lambasting China for increasing its military activity in and around the Taiwan Strait. Following
FATAL FIRE: The health department is trying to contact the inspector who visited the site of the illegal nursing home to ask why they did not advise follow-up checks The Taipei City Government yesterday said that a health department inspector last year had visited the site of a long-term care facility in Neihu District (內湖) after receiving a report questioning its status. A fire broke out at the facility on Tuesday afternoon, killing three people. The Taipei Fire Department said that it received a report about a fire on the first floor of a four-story residential building on Kangning Road Sec. 1 at 2:38pm on Tuesday, firefighters arrived at 2:43pm and the fire was put out by 3:07pm. The firefighters found three men in beds and rushed them to hospital for
Yuchi Township (魚池) fishers have appealed to the Nantou County Government for help in dealing with an invasive fish species in Sun Moon Lake (日月潭), where it has devastated the local ecosystem. Fishers at Sun Moon Lake have been using electrofishing in an attempt to eliminate the giant snakehead fish — found in Africa and Southeast Asia — but they have struggled to keep up with the growing population of the species, which breeds during September and October, the county government said on Monday. The county has contacted researchers at National Tsing Hua University, saying it hoped they could come up