The Bureau of National Health Insurance yesterday disputed media reports that millions of NT dollars had been lost through insurance fraud, saying the amount had been exaggerated.
But the bureau also said that the amount of money and the number of people involved are still under investigation, and that the practice could threaten the viability of the insurance system.
The bureau on Thursday referred 52 suspicious insurance claims by people who supposedly fell ill when traveling to or working in China to the Bureau of Investigation. According to Sheen Mao-ting (
Insurance bureau figures show that claims by people visiting China accounted for at least 60 percent of the 15,000 claims last year. The bureau has spent over NT$90 million subsidizing those seeking medical care in China.
"It is difficult to verify these cases, since we cannot simply go to [China] to see if there is such a hospital or clinic," Sheen said.
The insurance bureau ordinarily requires applicants to submit their membership credentials, receipts and consultation paperwork within six months for review. When a claim is approved, patients can receive a daily allowance of NT$2,378 for emergency treatment and NT$6,707 for hospital expenses.
"We had hoped to ensure the right of citizens to medical care, even overseas, yet this kind of forgery could cripple our ability to sustain the service," said Liu Chien-hsiang (劉見祥), the bureau's newly appointed director-general.
"We will tighten our procedures when reviewing cases for overseas medical reimbursement," Liu said.
The bureau, however, can only appeal to the public not to commit fraud in the absence of reliable means of verification. Because the alleged fraudulent claims involved facilities outside the bureau's administrative area, it has no authority to inquire into the validity of certification presented by claimants.
"We are not in the position to regulate against malpractice in China. It is highly improbable that we can go out there and find out which swindlers are picking our pockets," Liu said.
According to Article 72 of the National Health Insurance Law (
Liu said that his bureau needed to cooperate more closely with the Ministry of Justice and the Mainland Affairs Council to crack down on insurance fraud.
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
Taiwanese have donated more than NT$10 million (US$329,946) to fight the COVID-19 outbreak in Italy, following an appeal for help by a Yilan-based Italian priest to save his “other homeland.” Catholic Father Giuseppe Didone on Wednesday issued a public letter asking for donations to be made to the fundraising center of Camillian Saint Mary’s Hospital Luodong to purchase emergency provisions, including surgical masks and protective gowns, for medical personnel in Italy. Didone yesterday expressed his gratitude and said that he was touched by the love shown by Taiwanese. While state-funded hospitals in Italy are mostly adequately supplied, many local clinics are suffering from
Taiwanese sports are to return next weekend, with the baseball and soccer leagues starting their new seasons, although there are to be restrictions for spectators and protective measures due to COVID-19. The Chinese Professional Baseball League (CPBL) season was originally scheduled to begin on March 14, then pushed back to March 28, before settling on next Saturday. “To conform with the government’s mandate limiting crowds at outdoor events, we will strictly limit the total number of people at each league game at fewer than 200,” CPBL secretary-general Feng Shen-hsieng (馮勝賢) said. “This figure will include the players, coaches, team employees, ballpark