As of yesterday, the death toll of floods that brought havoc to the center and south of the country was revised downwards to 25, with 16 injured and another 12 still missing. The total financial loss resulting from Tropical Storm Mindulle in all sectors is expected to pass NT$12.2 billion.
Cabinet Spokesman Chen Chi-mai (陳其邁) yesterday said the government had done its utmost to rescue people who had been stranded. As of yesterday, the number of people rescued from flood-affected areas or areas cut off because of damaged roads stood at 2,214.
As of yesterday, 550,000 dwellings were still affected by a lack of water services. A total of 718,700 families were originally affected.
PHOTO: SEAN CHAO, TAIPEI TIMES
Another 213,500 dwellings suffered power outages, although by yesterday only 9,000 dwellings were still to be reconnected.
Chen said that losses in both the industrial sector and business were about NT$4.7 billion.
According to the Council of Agriculture, total losses in the agricultural sector, the sector hardest hit by the storm, had exceeded NT$7.45 billion.
In the wake of the flood, the government has used aircraft and satellites to photograph geographical distortions to aid disaster prevention.
The council also said that a potentially dangerous barrier lake formed near Chiufenerh Mountain by 1999's devastating 921 earthquake has been overflowing since Saturday.
On Tuesday, unmanned aircraft completed a photographic analysis of the lake.
The council's Soil and Water Conservation Bureau said that the volume of earth and gravel spilled had exceeded 25,600m3.
Officials said that the pictures showed that it remained stable and that there was no immediate danger.
Meanwhile, the bureau yesterday lifted landslide and mudflow warnings issued to 81 townships nationwide.
"But we must still bear in mind that the soil in the disaster zone has been saturated. The possibility of heavy rain triggering another disaster cannot be ruled out," bureau director-general Wu Huei-long (吳輝龍) said yesterday.
ROCSAT-2, the nation's second satellite, launched on May 21, has been taking pictures of the disaster zone since Saturday.
The black-and-white pictures show dramatic changes in the paths of rivers, including Chenyulan River and Choshui River in the center of the country, as well as Tsengwen River and Chishan River in the south.
In addition, images of badly hit townships such as Shuili and Puli in Nantou County were also recorded by ROCSAT-2.
Officials at the National Space Program Office yesterday said that the newly-taken pictures showed that many communities abutting rivers had been overwhelmed by rising water.
"We hope more researchers can take advantage of ROCSAT-2's recent output and come up with an effective disaster-prevention protocol," Cheng Kuo-ping (鄭國屏), manager of the office's program control department, told the Taipei Times yesterday.
Cheng said the satellite would continue taking pictures of the disaster zone over the next few days.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday found four men guilty of attempted murder in the 2017 stabbing of Spanish surfer Ignacio Prio on a Pingtung County beach in the final ruling in the case, sentencing them to three-and-a-half to six years in prison. The defendants had appealed their convictions for attempted murder in the first and second rulings, which had also led to prison sentences ranging from three-and-a-half years to six years. The then-42-year-old Prio went to Jialeshui Beach (佳樂水) near Kenting (墾丁) on March 31, 2017, was attacked after he asked four men to remove their fishing lines from an area
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
ANOTHER IMPORT: A Filipina who arrived on Friday to visit family developed a fever on Saturday and test results yesterday were positive, making her Taiwan’s 465th case The government’s real-name mask purchasing system is to be continued until at least the end of the year, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday, as it reported a new imported COVID-19 case from the Philippines. The center would continue to requisition mask production to ensure people can buy masks using the real-name system until the end of December, said Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Deputy Director-General Chuang Jen-hsiang (莊人祥), the CECC’s spokesman. While the CECC requisitions about 8 million masks per day to ensure there are enough for the real-name system, more than 10 million masks are produced per day