A heavily bandaged African teenager made his first public appearance yesterday since undergoing a double surgery to remove a large tumor from his face. \nFifteen-year-old Vincent Kabore, who suffers from Von Reckling-hausen's disease, also known as "elephant-man syndrome," appeared alongside his father at the launch of a bilingual Web site for Taiwan's non-governmental organizations in Taipei. \nWith much of his face wrapped in a mask, Kabore, nicknamed "Ah Fu, the African elephant man," expressed through a translator his thanks to the Taiwanese medical team that removed the tumor. \nReceiving a football from Minister of Foreign Minister Eugene Chien (簡又新) as a gift, the boy from Burkina Faso said: "I feel very well and relieved. I am very grateful to the medical group and all those that have taken care of me. I am very happy. I have a lot of friends here. Everybody is very friendly to me. I am being very well treated in the hospital." \nAmidou Toure, deputy counselor of the Embassy of Burkina Faso in Taipei, said Kabore feels at home in Taiwan, although he does miss his native country sometimes. \nChen Yu-ray (陳昱瑞), a senior doctor at the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery of Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, where Kabore received treatment, said the boy's mask will be removed for a short time next week so that he can see his new face. \n"But he will have to wear the mask for at least another six months. The tumor has caused him to go blind in his right eye," said Chen, who participated in the two surgeries to remove Kabore's tumor. Each surgery lasted 13 hours. \nKabore was scheduled to check out of the hospital next weekend and return to Burkina Faso to celebrate New Year with his family, Chen said. \nChen added that Kabore would not need to return to Taiwan for further treatment because the Taiwanese medical team serving in Burkina Faso had been taught how to do any follow-up treatment. \nKabore was born with a normal face, but a pigmented spot above his right eye began to magnify and eventually grew to cover half of his face, according to the Taiwanese man who discovered him. \nThe man, who prefers to remain anonymous and is known only by the name "Luc," served in an alternative diplomatic-service program in Burkina Faso and saw Kabore for the first time in a local hospital. \n"He [Kabore] sat on the floor, said nothing and was without any facial expression, as if he was all by himself. I was shocked and kept watching him, looking at his unimaginable face," Luc said. \nKabore once moved with his parents to Ivory Coast and enrolled in an elementary school. But his tumor had grown so big that he dropped out of the school because his classmates had laughed at him, Luc said. \nKabore arrived at Taiwan for treatment early last month. The main sponsors of his medical trip include the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Noordhoff Craniofacial Foundation, Accton Technology Corp and EVA Airways.
PHOTO: CHIANG YING-YING, TAIPEI TIMES
The Supreme Court on Tuesday found four men guilty of attempted murder in the 2017 stabbing of Spanish surfer Ignacio Prio on a Pingtung County beach in the final ruling in the case, sentencing them to three-and-a-half to six years in prison. The defendants had appealed their convictions for attempted murder in the first and second rulings, which had also led to prison sentences ranging from three-and-a-half years to six years. The then-42-year-old Prio went to Jialeshui Beach (佳樂水) near Kenting (墾丁) on March 31, 2017, was attacked after he asked four men to remove their fishing lines from an area
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu