Falcao age debate ended
A debate over the true age of Colombia star Radamel Falcao was ended on Thursday when local press printed a copy of the striker’s birth certificate. The row was created by the new AS Monaco signing’s former head teacher claiming on local television station Noticias Uno that Falcao was born in 1984 and not 1986. That would have made him 29 and not 27, meaning the principality club had forked out 60 million euros (US$79.6 million) for a player two years closer to retirement than they had believed, but newspaper El Tiempo printed a copy of his official birth certificate from the Santa Marta municipality where he was born on Feb. 10, 1986, proving once and for all that he is indeed 27. On Tuesday, Falcao had taken to Twitter to refute the allegations saying: “I am surprised by these media reports about my age — they are ridiculous.”
Cisse logo row resolved
Newcastle United striker Papiss Cisse has reportedly agreed to wear the Premier League club’s Wonga logo on his shirt, despite previously objecting due to his religious views. Cisse pulled out of Newcastle’s pre-season tour to Portugal after telling the club he was not prepared to promote the money-lending company, who have replaced Virgin Money — also a money-lending company — as the Magpies’ sponsors for the forthcoming season, because it conflicted with his Muslim beliefs. However, after several weeks of negotiations, the Senegal international has been persuaded to return to the fold, according to reports on Thursday. Newcastle are yet to confirm the development, but sources close to the 28-year-old said they expected him to resume training with his teammates yesterday. Cisse arrived at St James’ Park in a ￡9 million (US$13.8 million) switch from German side SC Freiburg in January last year and was an instant hit as he scored 13 goals in his first 14 appearances.
Two resign over doping
Jamaican Football Federation (JFF) technical director Alfredo Montesso and national under-20 coach Luciano Gama resigned on Thursday in the wake of a Reggae Boyz doping scandal. The Brazilian duo, in a posting on the federation’s Web site, announced their departure, which takes effect on Wednesday. The move came only one day after Jamaican federation officials announced that a player had tested positive during a June 11 World Cup qualifying match against Honduras. It was the latest doping disgrace for a Caribbean island nation already reeling from the revelations of doping in test results by five athletics stars, including Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson. JFF president Horace Burrell told the Gleaner that the player did not play in the match against Honduras. “I think there are extenuating circumstances, because the player in question did not even play in the game,” Burrell said. “If you want to play, but you have some pain, and you are sick and a doctor gives you something to help you, nobody can hold you responsible.”
AS Roma sign De Sanctis
AS Roma have completed the signing of former Italy goalkeeper Morgan de Sanctis from SSC Napoli. De Sanctis has penned a two-year deal at Roma, with the club paying a transfer fee of 500,000 euros (US$662,000). De Sanctis spent four seasons at Napoli, helping them to win the Coppa Italia last year. He also won the Serie A title in 1998, during a spell at Juventus. De Sanctis made six appearances for Italy before retiring from international soccer.