SOCCER SHORTS

Agencies

Sun, Jul 07, 2013 - Page 18

ENGLAND

Gascoigne arrested, let go

Former England soccer star Paul Gascoigne has been arrested on suspicion of a drunken assault at a railway station, but was later released without charge, police said on Friday. The 46-year-old, who was taken to hospital earlier this year after being treated at a US rehabilitation clinic, was arrested on Thursday in Stevenage, north of London. “Police were called to a report of a man allegedly being drunk and disorderly at Stevenage railway station at 10:30pm on Thursday, July 4,” a spokeswoman for Hertfordshire police said. “Officers attended the location and arrested a 46-year-old male on suspicion of common assault and being drunk and disorderly.” The former former Newcastle, Tottenham and Lazio midfielder was taken into custody, but was not charged, police added. The Daily Mirror reported that during the incident he had held a security guard by the throat and turned on his ex-wife Sheryl when she tried to step in. Gascoigne has struggled with alcoholism for years and was sectioned under Britain’s mental health laws in 2008.

ENGLAND

Chelsea sign Van Ginkel

Chelsea have completed the signing of Netherlands midfielder Marco van Ginkel from Vitesse Arnhem on a five-year contract, the Premier League club said on Friday. “I am a box-to-box player. I cover a lot of meters and can score a goal, but I also like to defend and think of myself as a real team player,” Van Ginkel told the west London club’s official Web site. The 20-year-old came through the youth system at Vitesse Arnhem before making his debut in the Dutch top flight towards the end of the 2009-2010 season aged 17. He got his first cap for the Netherlands in November when he came on as a substitute against Germany and also played at the European Under-21 Championships in Israel last month. Van Ginkel scored 11 goals in 41 games last season and helped Vitesse finish fourth and qualify for the Europa League.

ENGLAND

Rooney not for sale: Moyes

New Manchester United manager David Moyes was adamant on Friday that striker Wayne Rooney was not for sale, but stopped short of saying the player had changed his mind about wanting to leave. The issue dominated the Scot’s first news conference since he took over from the retired Alex Ferguson. His predecessor said in May that the England international had asked for a transfer. “I’ve had a chance to speak to Wayne ... the fact of the matter is Wayne is not for sale,” Moyes said at Old Trafford, home of the Premier League champions. “He is a Manchester United player and will remain a Manchester United player. I’ve known Wayne since he was 16 ... he’s training very well, he’s come back in good shape and I really look forward to working with him.”

SPAIN

Neymar, Alba lose tonsils

Barcelona forward Neymar and fullback Jordi Alba had their tonsils removed successfully in operations on separate continents on Friday, the La Liga champions said. Neymar, 21, was operated on in Rio de Janeiro and Alba, 24, had his surgery at a clinic in Terrassa near the Catalan capital, the club said on their Web site. The two players, who Barca said would need about 10 days to recover, appeared for Brazil and Spain respectively in last Sunday’s Confederations Cup final in Rio de Janeiro, which the host nation won 3-0.