Dortmund, Bayern share points

GIVEN THE ELBOW::Bayern were reduced to 10 men for the final 25 minutes when Rafinha was sent off after thrusting his elbow into Jakub Blaszczykowski’s face


Mon, May 06, 2013 - Page 19

Borussia Dortmund ended 10-man Bayern Munich’s 14-match winning streak in the Bundesliga on Saturday as the warm-up for the Champions League final ended in a 1-1 draw.

For the first time since December, Bayern dropped league points, but both sides fielded just a handful of first-choice players set to start the Wembley final on May 25 — six from Dortmund and four from Bayern.

Although Bayern beat Borussia 1-0 in the German Cup quarter-finals in February, the Bavarians have failed to beat their rivals in six Bundesliga attempts — their last league win was back in February 2010.

Bayern had already been crowned Bundesliga champions four weeks ago and with Dortmund all but guaranteed second place, there was nothing more than bragging rights to play for at Signal Iduna Park.

An early goal by Dortmund wing Kevin Grosskreutz was cancelled out when Mario Gomez was left unmarked at the far post on 23 minutes and the Germany star headed Munich level.

The game burst into life after the break as Dortmund were awarded a penalty when Munich centerback Jerome Boateng blocked a shot with his hand, but Manuel Neuer saved Robert Lewandowski’s spot-kick.

Bayern were reduced to 10 men for the final 25 minutes when rightback Rafinha was sent off.

During his tussle down the right with Dortmund midfielder Jakub Blaszczykowski, the Brazilian thrust his elbow up into the Poland captain’s face for a straight red.

Blaszczykowski was also shown a yellow for remonstrating with referee Peter Gagelmann, while a heated discussion flared up on the sidelines between Bayern’s director of sport Matthias Sammer and Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp.

“No one came here thinking it would be a friendly,” Klopp said. “Sammer had said I should leave Rafinha alone, then I said something back, before Mr Gagelmann ordered us to shake hands.”

Third-placed Bayer 04 Leverkusen sealed automatic qualification for the Champions League with a 2-0 win at Nuremberg.

A first-half goal from defender Omer Toprak and a second-half penalty by Germany striker Stefan Kiessling sealed victory, while winger Sidney Sam fired a late penalty attempt wide for the visitors.

The win means Leverkusen are guaranteed to finish at least third.

Eintracht Frankfurt captain Alexander Maier kept his side in the hunt for fourth with two goals in their 3-1 win at home to Fortuna Duesseldorf.

With two games left, fifth-placed Frankfurt are three points behind Schalke 04 and are all but guaranteed a Europa League spot ahead of their remaining games against Werder Bremen and VfL Wolfsburg. Werder are still locked in the relegation battle after throwing away a 2-0 lead at home to second-from-bottom TSG 1899 Hoffenheim with substitute Svenn Schipplock scoring two goals in the last six minutes to rescue a point.

SpVgg Greuther Furth picked up a shock win at 10-man VfB Stuttgart — only their fourth victory of the season — as an own-goal from the home side’s Japanese centerback Gotoku Sakai and a late effort from Ilir Azemi sealed a 2-0 win.

The hosts had defender Antonio Ruediger sent off for a foul in the area on 74 minutes, but Stuttgart goalkeeper Sven Ulreich managed to save the resulting penalty.

In Saturday’s other game, Hannover 96 drew 2-2 with FSV Mainz 05.