Wed, Oct 24, 2012 - Page 18


Jail term too lenient: Leeds

A 16-week jail term handed out to a Leeds United fan on Monday for attacking former England goalkeeper Chris Kirkland in a match against Sheffield Wednesday was too lenient, Leeds has said. Aaron Cawley, 21, from Cheltenham, pleaded guilty at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court to assault and invading the pitch during the game at Hillsborough on Friday. Wednesday ’keeper Kirkland was pushed in the face by Cawley and shoved to the ground moments after conceding an equalizer in the 76th minute. After treatment he was able to continue for the remainder of the game. “While we are pleased to see justice brought so quickly, our one disappointment is that we feel the sentence could, and should, have been considerably longer,” Leeds said in a statement on their Web site. Cawley was given a five-year soccer banning order by the court and Leeds said he would be banned for life from attending home games.


SPL warns Hearts on wages

Hearts on Monday received a warning from the Scottish Premier League (SPL) over their failure to pay their players’ wages in September, but face another hearing about a similar offence today. Hearts, who were late paying players four times last season, on Monday paid outstanding wages dating from Oct. 15. The Edinburgh-based club later issued a statement that read: “We accept the result of today’s SPL board sub-committee hearing and are satisfied that this specific matter is now resolved and closed. We also acknowledge the second charge against the club, the subject matter of which the club believes has been resolved internally. However, the club notes that this will be dealt with separately on Wednesday.”


Hard-up team takes bus

Greece’s financial crisis has forced cash-strapped teams to be more conservative when travelling, with top-flight club Veria making an 800km trip by bus to play their weekend away match. The northern Greek team traveled by bus to southern Tripolis on Sunday to play league rivals Asteras and they also avoided staying at a hotel overnight by returning straight after the match. That meant leaving early in the morning for the eight-and-a-half-hour drive to reach Tripolis, losing the match to Asteras 3-0 and then getting back on the bus for the return trip, a total of 17 hours in transit. The team arrived back at their home base at 5am on Monday morning. Asteras are fourth after seven matches with 13 points while Veria are tied for seventh place with eight points, with undefeated Olympiakos top with 21 points.


Troyes coach extends deal

ES Troyes AC coach Jean-Marc Furlan extended his contract with the Ligue 1 strugglers on Monday which sees him contracted to the club until 2017. The 54-year-old — who was already on a four-year contract — signed the extension the day after the northern French side had climbed off the bottom of Ligue 1 with a shock 1-0 win over previous table toppers Marseille. Furlan has guided Troyes twice into the top flight, the first time in 2005 before he left the club in 2007 and then last season. In between he had spells at RC Strasbourg and FC Nantes. Troyes are second from bottom after nine matches with just five points.