Police investigate after fight between drunk Cabrera, wife


Wed, Oct 07, 2009 - Page 19

Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera was drunk and was taken to a police station between two key games as his team was trying to win the American League Central title.

The 26-year-old Venezuelan first baseman was taken to a police station on Saturday after arriving at his suburban Detroit home at 5am and getting into a fight with his wife, Birmingham Police Chief Richard Patterson said.

Cabrera went 0-for-4 and stranded six runners in a 5-1 loss to Chicago on Saturday night, a game that started about 12 hours after Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski picked him up at the station.

On Friday night, Cabrera had gone 0-for-4 and left four runners on base in an 8-0 loss to the White Sox. Cabrera went hitless in three at-bats on Sunday, a 5-3 Tigers win. Detroit finished the regular season tied with the Twins for first place in the AL Central. The teams will play Tuesday in Minnesota, with the winner advancing to the playoffs.

“There was an incident that took place on Saturday, and it is a personal matter,” Cabrera said a statement released on Monday by the Tigers. “I am sorry this has become a distraction, and I apologize to the Tigers, my teammates, and all of the fans. I would appreciate it if you would respect my family’s privacy as I prepare for our next game.”

No charges will be filed, and the Cabreras refused medical attention, Patterson said.

“We determined that they both contributed,” the chief said. “It was minor in nature. They did have some marks on their faces. We could not determine who the aggressor was.”

Patterson said Rosangel Cabrera called at 6am on Saturday, requesting police assistance.

According to a police report, Miguel Cabrera “suffered an injury to the left side of his face” and his wife “suffered an injury to her lower lip.”

Miguel Cabrera’s gold neck chain was broken and a cell phone was damaged.

His wife “was upset when Miguel came home intoxicated, woke up their child and was talking on the phone,” the report says.

Rosangel Cabrera asked that her husband leave the house, so officers took him to the police station, Patterson said. Cabrera was administered a breath test by police and registered a 0.26 blood-alcohol reading, the chief said.

“Mr Cabrera was very uncooperative and highly intoxicated,” the police report says.

Cabrera was picked up at the station by Dombrowski around 7:30am on Saturday.