Keeper admits blackmail
A former Manchester City youth goalkeeper on Monday admitted blackmailing a Premier League player by threatening to publish sexual images. Ashley Timms demanded £15,000 (US$28,500) from the player, who was not named for legal reasons, between March and April and was told by the judge to expect a jail sentence. “There was a long protracted series of text messages that culminated in the offense,” prosecutor David Friesner told Manchester Crown Court. “It is a series of messages followed by a series of threats.” After a string of trials with various English clubs, Timms joined Cambridge City in January, but subsequently left and is without a team.
Player wins compensation
London’s High Court awarded a former member of Manchester United’s youth squad £4.3 million on Monday over a tackle that ended his career. United manager Alex Ferguson had told an earlier hearing that Ben Collett had an “outstanding chance” of succeeding in soccer, but he was never able to return from a 2003 tackle by Middlesbrough’s Gary Smith that broke his right leg in two places during a reserve match. Middlesbrough and Smith admitted liability for the “negligent” tackle and Collett, who is now 23, was awarded the damages by London’s High Court. The amount will be paid by the Premier League club’s insurers.
Overmars plans comeback
Former Dutch international Marc Overmars has said he will return to professional soccer four years after he retired, Dutch newspaper Stentor reported on its Web site on Sunday. The 35-year-old winger was quoted as saying he will play this season for Dutch second division club Go Ahead Eagles Deventer, where he started his professional career in 1990-1991. Overmars, whose career included spells at Ajax Amsterdam, Arsenal and Barcelona before it ended in 2004 after a knee injury, said: “The main reason for my comeback is to help the club, but I also want to play again.” Overmars, who has been a Deventer board member for technical affairs since 2005, impressed during a testimonial match for defender Jaap Stam in Zwolle two weeks ago.
Monaco to sign Dario Simic
French first division side Monaco confirmed on Monday they have reached agreement with AC Milan to sign Croatian international defender Dario Simic. The 32-year-old is to put pen to paper for a two-year deal today after undergoing a medical, the club said in a statement. Simic previously played for Dynamo Zagreb, Inter Milan and AC Milan. He has 99 caps for Croatia, but played just one match during this year’s European championships.
Campo seals Ipswich move
Former Real Madrid midfielder Ivan Campo has sealed a move from Premiership side Bolton to Ipswich on a two-year contract, the Championship side said on Monday. The 34-year-old passed his medical before signing the deal at Portman Road. Campo, part of Real Madrid’s 2000 Champions League winning side, was unlikely to make his debut in yesterday’s League Cup tie with Leyton Orient, but should be available to face Burnley on Saturday. “The young players at this club will really benefit from having him around the place,” manager Jim Magilton told the club’s official Web site.