Ross Taylor and stand-in captain Tom Latham yesterday combined in a 138-run stand to guide hosts New Zealand to a morale-boosting four-wicket victory over India in their first one-day international (ODI) in Hamilton.
Taylor chaled up his 21st century with an unbeaten 109, while Latham, filling in for the injured Kane Williamson, weighed in with 69, as New Zealand chased down India’s imposing 347-4, passing the target with almost two overs to spare.
The victory was not without a scare. New Zealand lost three quick wickets as they approached the target, raising fears of a repeat of their capitulation in the Twenty20 series, when they threw away winning positions in the last three games to slump to a 5-0 defeat.
However, Mitchell Santner held his nerve, finishing on 12 not out, as New Zealand ended an eight-game losing streak, having also succumbed 3-0 in their Test series in Australia.
India’s massive total was built on Shreyas Iyer’s maiden ODI century. Dropped on eight, 11 and 83, he went on to score 103 and shared in century stands with both Virat Kohli (51) and K.L. Rahul (88 not out).
The win released some pressure on Gary Stead and New Zealand Cricket (NZC) after the coach was granted a week’s leave from the team to rest, leaving bowling coach Shane Jurgensen in charge for the three-match ODI series.
The move had been criticized by several former players, with NZC forced to explain the decision on Wednesday.
“Player and support staff workload is a big issue in international cricket,” NZC chief executive David White told reporters.
“We lost our last coach, Mike Hesson, to workload issues,” he added in reference to Hesson’s sudden resignation in 2018. “We want to make this role sustainable going forward and that’s why Gary is having a week off.”
White said the decision had been made more than six months ago and that Stead has always been reluctant to take a break.
“The man works very, very hard; so, as managers, we must manage his workload, or we will have burnout,” White added.
‘CRIMINAL ACT’: The UCI said it ‘strongly condemns’ Dylan Groenewegen’s ‘dangerous behavior,’ which left Jakobsen in critical condition and injured other cyclists Dutch cyclist Fabio Jakobsen was in a coma on Wednesday, in “serious” condition, after he was thrown into and over a barrier at 80kph in the conclusion to the opening stage of the Tour de Pologne. Footage showed 23-year-old Jakobsen, of the Deceuninck-Quick-Step, racing elbow-to-elbow with fellow Dutchman Dylan Groenewegen of Jumbo-Visma as both men frantically tussled in a tight sprint to the line in Katowice. However, Jakobsen came off worst, somersaulting over the barriers before colliding with a photographer after Groenewegen had veered suddenly to the right, squeezing his rival into the security wall. “His condition is very serious. His life is
Growing concern over health standards in e-sports has prompted a new federation to pledge to address the problem, as players fall victim to conditions ranging from wrist injuries to obesity, stress and diabetes. The retirement of top Chinese player Jian Zihao, better known by his gaming handle “Uzi,” sent tremors through the booming sport, whose revenues are predicted to reach US$1.1 billion this year, according to industry analyst Newzoo. The 23-year-old, hailed as an “icon” of the League of Legends game, stepped away from e-sports in June, saying that “chronic stress, obesity, irregular diet, staying up late and other reasons” had given
‘COMPLICATED’: The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament ‘a decision I never wanted to take,’ but added that he would ‘rather not travel’ Defending champion Rafael Nadal has said that he would skip the US Open because of the COVID-19 pandemic, putting on hold his bid to equal Roger Federer’s men’s record for Grand Slam titles. On Tuesday, Nadal explained his decision in a series of tweets sent in Spanish and English. “The situation is very complicated worldwide. Coronavirus cases are increasing. It looks like we still don’t have control of it,” Nadal wrote. The 34-year-old from Spain called sitting out the tournament scheduled to begin on Aug. 31 in New York “a decision I never wanted to take,” but added that he would “rather not
The Braves were dealt a double blow as the Mets’ Jacob deGrom struck out 10 in six innings to help New York snap a five-game skid with a 7-2 victory on Monday, and as Atlanta top pitcher Mike Soroka went down with a torn Achilles tendon in the third inning. “There’s no sugarcoating this night,” Atlanta slugger Freddie Freeman said. “It stinks. It really does.” Soroka crumpled to the ground on a seemingly routine play, breaking toward first to cover the bag on a grounder to Freeman’s right. “When you lose, in my mind, one of the top pitching arms in this entire