Aaron Ramsey on Tuesday sent Wales to UEFA Euro 2020 with a brace to give them a 2-0 win over Hungary and a spot in next summer’s finals, while Belgium completed their perfect qualifying campaign with a mauling of Cyprus.
Juventus midfielder Ramsey hit his decisive double either side of halftime at the Cardiff City Stadium to ensure that Ryan Giggs’s side leapfrogged their opponents into second place in Group E to snatch a spot at the multi-host tournament.
Wales also held off Slovakia, who beat Azerbaijan 2-0, but finished a point behind in third thanks to their defeat at group winners Croatia in the previous round of matches.
Ramsey’s match-winning display came in his first start of qualifying and capped a superb performance that belied a characteristically injury-dogged season that term in Serie A.
“I missed a lot of this campaign, but it was all worthwhile to chip in with a couple of goals tonight,” Ramsey told Sky Sports. “We had the time of our lives in France [at Euro 2016]. We inspired a nation last time out, so we wanted to do it again.”
The 28-year-old, who played 30 minutes as a substitute in the win on Saturday last week in Azerbaijan, made an immediate impact by charging into the box to meet Gareth Bale’s perfect cross to settle the home side’s nerves on 15 minutes.
There was no way back for the visitors once Ramsey controlled Kieffer Moore’s knockdown to smash home from close range two minutes into the second half.
However, Wales also had to thank goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey for keeping the scores level just before the break after an incredible double save to deny first Dominik Szoboszlai and then Roland Sallai as the home fans held their breath.
The win gave Wales the final automatic place, with 20 teams ready to contest the finals and another four spots set to be decided via the playoffs in March next year.
One of the favorites for the tournament, which kicks off in Rome on June 12 next year, Belgium, made it a perfect 10 wins from 10 with a 6-1 thrashing of Cyprus that saw Christian Benteke score twice.
The Crystal Palace forward is yet to score in the Premier League, but opened Belgium’s account in the 16th minute with a tap-in two minutes after Nicholas Ioannou stunned the Group I winners with a superb run and shot.
He rounded off the scoring in the 68th minute, when he collected a neat through-ball from Kevin de Bruyne — who also scored twice — and slotted past Neofytos Michael.
Roberto Martinez’s side finished the qualifying phase as top scorers with a whopping 40 goals, with an average of four goals per game.
Russia, who finished two points behind Belgium, thumped San Marino 5-0 in one of a host of dead rubbers.
Germany and the Netherlands thumped Northern Ireland and Belarus respecteively to close their campaigns in style.
Germany were heading to the Euros in a positive mood, Serge Gnabry said after hitting a hat-trick that sank Northern Ireland 6-1 and gave them top spot in Group C.
“We are playing some very, very good football,” said Gnabry, who came off to a standing ovation on 80 minutes. “We are going to the finals confident and with a good run behind us. The team is young, but we’re all having a lot of fun.”
Meanwhile, Georginio Wijnaldum made another stand against racism as he also scored three times in the Netherlands’ 5-0 crushing of Belarus.
Liverpool midfielder Wijnaldum was angered at Excelsior striker Ahmad Mendes Moreira being subjected to racist chanting by FC Den Bosch fans during a Dutch second-division match.
After opening the scoring in the sixth minute, he and Frenkie de Jong joined on the sidelines to bring their arms together to draw attention to their different skin color.
Myron Boadu made it a night to remember by scoring on his international debut to make it 5-0 three minutes from the end, collecting Kevin Strootman’s pass before coolly slotting home.
“This is obviously a dream come true, to play for the national team and score on your debut,” the 18-year-old said. “I can’t claim that I should be in the squad for the Euro finals, I just have to show what I can do.”
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
Uncertainty grips next year’s postponed Tokyo Olympic Games: Will there be fans or empty stadiums in 14 months? How will thousands of athletes, staff members and technical officials travel, be housed and stay safe amid the COVID-19 pandemic? And the Tokyo Games are not the only event. China, where COVID-19 was first detected, is to hold three mega-sports events in the year after the Tokyo Olympics are set to close. The World University Games in Chengdu, China, are to open, with up to 8,000 athletes, only 10 days after the Tokyo Games close. Next come the Beijing Winter Olympics beginning on Feb. 4, 2022,
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I
When South Korea’s domestic women’s golf tour held its premier event last week — without spectators because of the COVID-19 pandemic — no fewer than three of the world’s top 10 players took part. The country of 52 million people has a disproportionate share of the women’s world golf rankings, providing eight of the current top 20. In a demonstration of their prominence, South Korean women have won at least one major every season since 2010, with coronavirus cancellations perhaps the biggest threat to their run this year. The phenomenon, players and commentators have said, results from driven parents, intense training, a highly