South Korea’s players had no idea their surreal FIFA World Cup qualifier in Pyongyang on Tuesday would be played in an empty stadium — a match Tottenham Hotspur star Son Heung-min described as “very aggressive” and one official likened to warfare.
The contest against North Korea ended 0-0, with FIFA president Gianni Infantino one of just a handful of spectators at a match almost completely blocked off from the outside world.
It was the first-ever competitive encounter between the men’s sides hosted by the North, a historic face-off between two countries still technically at war, but took place with no live broadcast and no foreign media in attendance.
The debacle raises doubts over the prospects for further North-South sporting cooperation, once a driver of nuclear diplomacy.
Until the very last minute, the South’s team had no idea that even North Korean spectators would be absent.
“We expected 50,000 people to come pouring in once the door opened, but they didn’t come,” Korea Football Association vice president Choi Young-il said as the team arrived back at Incheon International Airport early yesterday.
“The gates never opened. I was really surprised. The players and coach were surprised too,” he said.
Choi said that he had asked about the absence of local fans and a North Korean official told him: “Maybe they didn’t want to see it.”
Son, who captained South Korea’s team, was taken aback by the Northerners’ rough tactics.
“The match was very aggressive to a degree that I think it’s a huge achievement just to return safely without being injured,” Son said. “There was a lot of severe swearing.”
Choi added that he had never seen such aggression on the pitch before.
“It was like war,” he said.
Tuesday’s match came in the wake of a series of North Korean missile tests that raised tensions in the region and after the breakdown of talks with the US over Pyongyang’s weapons programs.
Since the collapse in February of a summit in Hanoi between North Koren leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump, Pyongyang has regularly excoriated Seoul, ruling out prospects of inter-Korean dialogue.
It is a far cry from the cross-border warmth of last year, when South Korean President Moon Jae-in seized on the Pyeongchang Winter Olympics to broker the Pyongyang-Washington discussion process.
At the time, Moon and Kim discussed and agreed on further sports exchanges, including a joint bid to host the 2032 Olympics.
However, the North’s official Korean Central News Agency issued only a two-line dispatch on Tuesday’s match, saying: “The game of attacks and counterattacks ended in a draw.”
In a commentary yesterday, the South’s Korea JoongAng Daily said: “We may just have to thank North Korea for sending our football team back home safely.”
“How can South Korea think of cohosting the Olympics with such a treacherous counterpart?” it added.
Infantino said that he was “disappointed” after attending the event and “surprised” by the absence of fans, along with other issues.
Infantino has previously proposed the idea of the two Koreas jointly hosting the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
However, outraged South Korean fans, who had to settle for basic updates provided by FIFA throughout the match that were limited to yellow cards and substitutions, said that they were fed up with sporting exchanges with the North.
“How can a country that blocks spectators and bans live broadcasts host the World Cup?” one person asked online.
“Don’t ever talk about joint teams with North Korea or cohosting anything,” another added.
Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker found himself in need of an assist to help the state fight the COVID-19 pandemic. He called on the New England Patriots. One of the team’s private airplanes on Thursday evening landed in Boston after returning from China carrying more than 1 million masks critical to healthcare providers fighting to control the spread of the coronavirus. Members of the Massachusetts National Guard met the airplane and offloaded the containers of masks onto waiting trucks for transport to warehouses for distribution. Baker secured the N95 masks from Chinese manufacturers, but had no way of getting them to the US. He
WAIT AND SEE: The estimated cost of postponement started at US$2 billion and has kept rising, but the IOC has yet to say whether it would help pay for the extra expenses Postponing the Tokyo Olympics to next year would make the event more costly for all parties, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) acknowledged on Thursday, although it offered few details on what the final bill might be. Four directors of the Olympic body held a conference call three days after Tokyo’s new dates were finalized, with the Games pushed back to July 23 to Aug. 8 next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. While the new dates cleared up any uncertainty about the event’s future, there are still plenty of question marks as the committee begins to work with Tokyo organizers and the
DECREASED TENSION: The US players’ lawyers said that the soccer federation no longer disputes that the jobs of the women’s and men’s national teams require equal skill Women players suing the US Soccer Federation (USSF) said in in court documents filed on Tuesday that the federation has acknowledged that the jobs of male and female soccer players require equal skill. The language seemed to signal a decrease in tension between the parties after language in documents filed by the federation’s lawyers earlier last month provoked widespread outrage in saying that playing on the men’s national team required a higher level of skill based on speed and strength and carried greater responsibility. The fierce backlash — not only from the women players, but also from sponsors such as Coca-Cola —
Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson are planning to play a charity golf match next month with Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, CNBC reported on Wednesday. CNBC, which cited an unnamed person familiar with the negotiations, said that the charity match would be held at an undisclosed location without fans and is being organized by the PGA Tour and AT&T’s WarnerMedia. The negotiations are still being finalized, but the match pitting 15-time major champion Woods and Manning against five-time major winner Mickelson and Brady could be aired on live TV and is unlikely to be featured on pay-per-view, CNBC said. “Discussions