Undefeated British heavyweight Tyson Fury on Saturday shook off a left hook to the temple that left him bloodied and bruised before battling to a unanimous points win over Sweden’s Otto Wallin.
Fury had to dig deep after the bone-rattling third-round punch from heavy underdog Wallin sliced open a deep gash over his right eye in Las Vegas, Nevada. The shot left Fury half-blind for the remainder of the 12-round non-title bout as blood flowed freely down the right side of his face, but the self-styled “Gypsy King” powered back in a battle of attrition and eventually seized control in the ninth round.
“I got caught early on, which changed the fight completely,” Fury said. “For the majority of fight, I couldn’t see.”
Fury, who was taken to the hospital for repairs, won 116-112, 117-111 and 118-110 on the three judges’ scorecards.
Because the cut was from a punch, and not an accidental clash of heads, Wallin would have won by TKO had the injury caused officials to stop the contest.
Fury was hoping for a dominant performance against the unheralded Swede to stoke excitement for his lucrative money-spinning rematch with WBC champion Deontay Wilder, which he claims is scheduled for February.
Fury climbed off the canvas after a 12th round knockdown by Wilder in December only for judges to score a draw in a pulsating title fight that many observers thought the Briton had won.
He called out Wilder after the verdict over Wallin was announced, saying: “Deontay, I want you next, bum.”
Before Saturday’s fight, the 31-year-old Fury insisted that he was not looking past the 30/1 underdog Wallin, who entered the ring with a perfect 20-0 record.
An over-the-top, five-minute ring walk sporting a sombrero and accompanied by a Mariachi band had some wondering if Fury was more concerned with boosting his Mexican fan base on their independence day than beating Wallin.
However, as he had against Wilder in December, the unbeaten 206cm Fury (29-0-1, 20 KOs) showed that he can deal with adversity in the ring.
“It is all heart and determination,” he said. “If I can keep going, then I will keep going.”
The 28-year-old southpaw Wallin angered Fury at the end of the sixth round by reaching over the referee with his glove to try and rip open the cut even more. The fight had been briefly halted in the middle of that round, so the ring doctor could inspect Fury’s cut.
“I can see,” Fury said, when asked if the blood was affecting him.
By the final round, both boxers were out of gas. Wallin connected with a final flurry and, for a few fleeting moments, it looked like the heavyweight division might have its second huge upset of a fancied British fighter in three months.
In June, Mexico’s Andy Ruiz knocked out the previously unbeaten Briton Anthony Joshua in the seventh round in New York to win three of the four major heavyweight belts in one of the sport’s biggest shocks.
A professional soccer team in South Korea apologized after “mannequins” used as substitute fans during a match on Sunday turned out to be sex dolls. K League 1 club Seoul said that the dolls, which had been dotted around stands off-limits to supporters due to the COVID-19 pandemic, had been ordered inadvertently after a “misunderstanding” with the supplier. Earlier this month, the K League became the first major soccer league to hold matches since the start of the pandemic, with the season’s opening game watched by a worldwide audience of fans, but Seoul’s attempt to bring a touch of realism to Sunday’s
It is known as the “May 19 Incident” and by some estimations it still haunts China’s national soccer team 35 years on. On May 19, 1985, China were stunned 2-1 at home by neighbors Hong Kong, then still under British rule, on one of the most infamous nights in Chinese soccer history. It is notorious not just because China’s hopes of qualifying for the FIFA World Cup for the first time ended in calamity. After the match, fans in Beijing rioted, smashing up vehicles, attacking buses, and threatening foreign journalists and diplomatic staff. It began an intense rivalry between the two teams which
APPROPRIATE RESPONSE: The Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan expressed ‘sincere regret’ for publishing the image on its in-house magazine and Web site A satirical mock-up depicting the Tokyo Games logo as the novel coronavirus has been pulled from online after Olympic organizers branded it “insensitive” and said that it infringed copyright. The design combines the distinctive, spiky image of the coronavirus cell with the blue-and-white Tokyo Games logo. It appeared on the cover of the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of Japan’s magazine. The Tokyo Games have been postponed until next year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, which has left hundreds of thousands of people dead and halted sport worldwide. Club president Khaldon Azhari yesterday said that the club had decided to withdraw the image and remove
The COVID-19 pandemic has stalled young Greek Stefanos Tsitsipas’ burgeoning career, but he remains philosophical about the tennis shutdown. The world No. 6 would have been preparing for the French Open that was originally scheduled to start this weekend, but was postponed to September. While he is missing life on the ATP Tour, Tsitsipas believes that the lockdown has given the planet a breather. “I actually think they should put us in lockdown once a year — it’s good for nature, it’s good for our planet,” Tsitsipas said in an Instagram Live conversation for At Home With Babsi on Eurosport’s Instagram page. “I